Friday, January 15, 2010

Sorry, music lovers....

...but I've bn reading a LOT lately. But the books got kinda boring recently, so I actually PUT SOME MUSIC ON a coupla nites back -- a few instrumental albums & a coupla hrs of Classic Rock Radio 2 C if things have changed NE since the last time I listened (which was last summer).
There were a coupla mild suprises on the radio. Probly the most "typical" local Album Rock station is KZOK-FM outta Seattle, "The Classic Rock Station," & don't get me wrong -- they're pretty good at what they do. & when vetran DJ Gary Crow hosts his Retro Lunchbox (or whatever it's called), he can throw some REAL suprises at U -- stuff U haven't heard since 1971.
But the suprises during the 2 hrs I listened recently were fairly minor -- Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold," Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" & "The Lemon Song" (didn't recognize it at 1st), the Hollies' 1972 #2 hit "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" Bing mis-identified as having bn done by Creedence Clearwater Revival (really? which album is THAT on?), etc.
It was nice 2 hear the "long" version of Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" -- hadn't heard that in awhile -- tho I admit I was disappointed when it DIDN'T fade in2 "Crazy on You," 1 of my all-time faves....
About their other choices I have little comment ("Aqualung" AGAIN? "Feeling like a dead duck...."), tho I appreciated the clear sound & the lack of commercials....
Album-wise, was suprised 2 learn how I've bn sorta downgrading the 2nd side of Group 87's (1st) album 4 all these yrs -- U should all still try 2 find a copy, but I was suprised how strong the 2nd side was. I hadn't played it in awhile, & "The Bedouin" was still as hypnotic & pretty as I remember, & "One Night Away From Day" still just as brilliant & uplifting & anthemic.
It was the other stuff that sorta suprised me. I knew it was good, but.... "Moving Sidewalks" especially takes short, repeating theme phrases & slowly fills them w/ more & more drama until they about leap outta the speakers at U. "While the City Sleeps" & "Hall of Glass" R a little more subtle, but still really hypnotic & pretty -- NE fans of jazz-rock/New Age/rock instrumentals should track this album DOWN. Great guitar, keyboards, drumming & sax, & a smooth, gorgeous group sound. Guitarist Peter Maunu could really wail when he was in the mood. The 1st side's a killer, 2....
Others: Alan Parsons' INSTRUMENTAL WORKS is still predictable but pretty; especially good is the marvelous "Gold Bug." "Genesis Ch. 1, V. 32" is pretty cool 2. & "I Robot." (Why wasn't "Lucifer" included on this album?)
The 1st side of Camel's THE SNOW GOOSE is still nearly perfect, tho I think Side 2 fades after "Flight of the Snow Goose." NUDE is still gorgeous.
Played thru the 1st side of It's a Beautiful Day's (1st) album 4 the 1st time in a yr & 1/2 -- I had 2 turn down the obnoxious "Wasted Union Blues," but the rest sounded just as pretty & solid as I remember....
I actually have some new music in the house, Van der Graaf Generator's PAWN HEARTS, but I'm waiting 4 Xactly the right time 2 try it out. I understand that it's sposta B dark, intense, doomy, Xtreme, etc., so I'm sorta waiting 4 the weather 2 clear up a bit. I don't need NE reasons 2 get Dpressed on these rainy, overcast days like we've bn having lately, when I already feel like I never really wake up. I've always prided myself on having Just The Right Music 2 clear the house of unwanted guests -- but my roommates LIVE HERE, & they think I'm weird enuf already. But I promise U a full report ASAP.
ALSO: I'm currently slowly making my way thru 33-1/3RD'S GREATEST HITS, a collection of summa the best stuff from their series of books on classic rock albums. There's some good stuff here -- like why Dusty Springfield sang none of her vocals on DUSTY IN MEMPHIS in Memphis.... Bhind-the-scenes stuff on the Kinks' VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY, a nice write-up on PET SOUNDS, a gripping write-up on Joy Division's UNKNOWN PLEASURES (I've never heard them, but this article makes me want 2 track the album down), comparing Love's FOREVER CHANGES 2 something like a prophetic utterance from the Bible, nice Dtails on Pink Floyd's PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN, summa the weirdness surrounding Hendrix's ELECTRIC LADYLAND, & pieces on SIGN 'O' THE TIMES, THE VELVET UNDERGROUND AND NICO, AQUALUNG, LED ZEPPELIN IV, EXILE ON MAIN STREET, RAMONES, etc....
Only 2 don't Cm quite up 2 snuff so far -- a thin write-up on ABBA GOLD, & a recording recap of the Beatles' LET IT BE that doesn't Cm 2 have much that's new. But I need more time w/ this....
MORE SOON!

No comments: