Friday, May 14, 2010

Some Bhind-the-scenes notes

IT'S GETTING BETTER: Spring has FINALLY arrived in Wash., apparently. The sun has bn out 4 over a wk, temps 2day R over 70, I'm waking up earlier & feel WAY better & more NRgetic, don't Cm 2 need as much coffee (only 2 big cups 2day). Cing the sun now & then sure makes a big diffrence. It's pretty amazing really. I thot the winter was never gonna Nd....

ON THE PHYSICAL PROCESS OF BLOGGING: 4 the past 7 mo's & 120-some posts I've bn thinking this is a great little laptop, if only I could actually type while it was on my lap. Haven't got10 there yet, but previously -- in order 4 the laptop 2 suck-up enuf Internet signals 2 actually transmit -- I've had 2 set the laptop up atop my old computer & type standing up. Which after some nites running my ass off at work WAS THE VERY LAST THING I WANTED 2 DO. But I did it NEway, Bcos 1nce I get in2 it I don't care if my feet & legs go numb as long as my brain & fingers keep working....
However, something's changed. MayB it's Bcos the weather's gotten much better, but the last few posts (since the review of PAPERBACK WRITER) have bn typed while SITTING AT MY DESK, which at least takes some stress offa my feet.... If this trend continues, now that I've gotten thru that massive science fiction-reading memoir, I might even try 2 condense summa my off-the-wall Air Force Xperiences, or even-more-off-the-wall Newspapering Xperiences. As long as the sun hangs around, look out. & speakin of memoirs....

ON PRESENTATION: 90-yr-old Frederik Pohl, 1 of the great writers & editors of SF, has bn writing a blog 4 awhile now, called "The Way the Future Blogs" (www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/). Fred calls it "an on-line memoir," since it's sorta a rough-draft 4 another autobiography he may write eventually, 2 follow-up his Xcellent late-'70s memoir, THE WAY THE FUTURE WAS.
Fred doesn't need NE publicity help from me -- his blog has already earned him a Hugo Award nomination 4 Best Fan Writer, 1 of the few awards he hasn't already won -- but I was impressed w/ his blog just cos he's so relaxed about it all. He's not worried about whether it's Great Art or even Deep & Meaningful, he's just having a good time w/ it, reminiscing about many of the writers he's worked w/ over the years (like Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke), & just writing whatever pops in2 his head on a particular day. It's pretty cool. I like his approach.
4 awhile I was all worried whether NE1 would read the babbling I do here, or share summa the same memries, or B able 2 relate 2 summa what I'm writing about -- or whether it was all just 4 mememe. It probly is. Ghod knows I don't have the material or Xperiences that Fred Pohl does. But I'm 2 the point now I'm just trying 2 get summa this stuff out while I still REMEMBER it. I figure NEthing that keeps me writing is probly a Good Thing. So: Full speed ahead....

COMING SOON, I PROMISE: More music....

No comments: