Saturday, February 12, 2011

400!?

Don't know if this means anything 2 any1 other than me, but if you count the 225+ posts I did at my old dead website + the 175 or so I've done here (a couple have been deleted along the way), that makes just over 400 ... in a little over 2 years.
I don't believe it. I thot I was pretty-well written-out last summer, that I didn't have a whole lot left. But somehow stuff keeps bubbling up....
If I hadn't been down 4 2 months awhile back with no computer, I mighta gotten here even sooner. This is still just as much fun 4 me as it ever was, & sometimes even more compulsive. At the end of some posts I've been tempted 2 add "Powered by Caffeine" rather than "Powered by Blogger" or whatever -- this is possibly 1 of them....
Anyway, I hope some of you out there at least laugh 1nce in awhile when you read this stuff, or think of some piece of music you haven't heard in 30 years. If any of that happens, I've done something worthwhile.
My thanx 2 the folks who read & comment here regularly -- especially Rastro & Crabby, & Drew & Gardenhead & Adam & Perplexio & the few others who comment now & then. You guys keep me going.
& apparently SOMEone else is looking at this stuff: Blogger claims I'm getting 800+ pageviews ("hits"?) per month lately, & the #'s keep going up -- if you can believe Blogger. Not sure if I do. Apparently folks from all over the planet stumble in here by accident. I'm really big in Bolivia & Latvia. Ghod knows what they must think....
OK: If you're crouched in a yurt out on the Mongolian steppe somewhere & you ended up HERE somehow, will ya 4 Chrissakes COMMENT & let me know what led you here, what you think, etc? It's making me crazy....
In the future I hope 2 drag-in more nostalgia, more music writing, more odd experiences from my Air Force & newspaper-reporting career, more embarrassing personal stuff, moremoremore. Maybe I'll do some more rough drafts 4 a critical guide 2 Strange Music, a book I've wanted 2 write 4 more than 20 years. I'll keep going as long as the World's Smallest Laptop holds out.
4 now, I'd just like 2 thank the Academy & every1 I've ever met in my entire life....
Thanx 2 my son ADD who set-up my 1st website & gave me the best Xmas present I've ever had, the gift that keeps on giving. Thanx 2 Mark Prindle, who immediately & without hesitation started pointing people in my direction; & 2 Don Ignacio, who dived in soon afterward; & 2 Drew, who's sent me more visitors lately than any1 else.
Thanx 2 Gardenhead, who encouraged me when things got dark; & 2 Mary, who got me 2 TALK 2 somebody when things got REALLY dark -- I think she probably still reads this stuff & might be wondering what I'm thinking these days: I don't know, sweetie. Did I ever?
I remain amazed by what this Internet can do: When I posted that review of Andrew Foster Altschul's DEUS EX MACHINA yesterday, within 30 minutes after it was up somebody found the post thru a Google search. Amazing. It's the closest thing 2 James Blish & Ursula K. LeGuin's instant communication. Or as close as I want 2 get, anyway....
& I'm still surprised by how much this has come 2 mean 2 me. This right here is how I deal with the world, how I relax, un-stress, de-compress. Writing about music & books is WAY easier than trying 2 figure out why there was a double-fatality shooting in the Wal-Mart parking lot a mile down the road from my house. & a helluva lot more comforting. If I were 2 lose this, I'd feel like I'd had something amputated.
Hope it's working 4 you, 2. Thanx 4 reading....

1 comment:

R S Crabb said...

Keep blogging! More ya blog more ya get followers. Seems to be that way for me too!