Friday, September 2, 2011

The "F" List

4 awhile it looked like it was gonna B THE WORST nite of radio-listening since I started listening again fairly religiously a coupla months ago. Nothing But The Beast -- wretched excess & shit, overplayed crap I'd heard 1,000x B4 -- this stuff wasn't helping my work-nite go EZer, wasn't helping my job-related stress disappear. This was Not Working. At All.
The Seattle-area radio stations FINALLY got better, but it took them until after dark, as if everything earlier was just warming-up. 4 everything B4 9 pm they get an F. After that I'll give 'em a C.
Thot I might B in trouble when the 1st time I turned on the radio at work on Thurs evening it was in the middle of "Sweet Home Alabama." Could hear that NE nite of the week. But I couldn't find NEthing better, so I switched the radio off & got some other things done, handled a madhouse rush-hour of customers -- many of whom were heading out 2 Njoy their Fri nite -- we hava lotta fed gov't Mployees here who work 4-day work-weeks, so Thurs nites work as a sorta preview of Fri.
It didn't get better. The overplayed instant-tuneouts continued. When I checked back, hadta avoid "Cold as Ice," "Tequila Sunrise" & "My Eyes Adored You." Then "Walk of Life" -- 2wice within 10 mins. "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2." "Wouldn't it Be Nice" -- yeah, greatest pop album ever, sure, but the most overplayed song on it cos it's closest 2 the Beach Boys "sound." "God Only Knows" woulda bn nice....
The crap continued with:

Phil Collins: In the Air Tonight.
Ricky Nelson: Travelin' Man.
Stones: Beast of Burden, Start Me Up.
Cliff Richard: Devil Woman.
Beach Boys: Kokomo. They've bn playing this WAY 2 much lately....
Free: All Right Now.
Abba: Dancing Queen. Hey, Abba's great, but there are LIMITS....
Cream: White Room, Sunshine of Your Love. Ugh. But "Badge" is still amazing....
Dylan: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
Blood, Sweat & Tears: Spinning Wheel. I tune-out immediately almost anything by BS&T Xcept "And When I Die" ... & "You've Made Me So Very Happy." If I'm in a really good mood. Which I wasn't.
Queen: Another One Bites the Dust.
Journey: Open Arms.
The Band: Up on Cripple Creek. Is "The Weight" the only good thing they ever did?
Rita Coolidge: Higher and Higher. Just say no.
Bowie: Young Americans.
Steve Miller: Jet Airliner.
Eagles: Take it Easy, The Long Run.
Tull: Aqualung.
Heart: Magic Man.

...About here this ongoing rain of shit got me thinking about summa the other stuff Seattle radio has played recently that I have mercifully not mentioned un2 You Out There. But karma being what it is, those days R OVER. I also got 2 thinking about some other immediate tune-outs & wondering why radio still 4ces such crap upon us. Who actually LIKES these songs? There must B SOMEONE -- but have you ever met them?
Olivia Newton-John: Physical, Heart Attack.
Whitney Houston: I Will Always Love You, The Greatest Love of All. I tune-out everything by Whitney Xcept "I Want to Dance With Somebody."
Doors: Hello I Love You.
Elton: Don't Go Breakin' My Heart, Honky Cat, Bennie and the Jets.
America: Tin Man.
Foreigner: Hot Blooded, Dirty White Boy, etc.
Carpenters: Top of the World.
Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water.
Leon Russell: Tightrope. SO much better when he DOESN'T sing....
Janis Joplin: Xcept for "Me and Bobbie McGee," which I can almost stand....
Later Chicago: Mostly everything after "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"....
Fleetwood Mac: "Dreams" & "Don't Stop." Both lame.
ANY of Clapton's "laid back" stuff, like "Lay Down Sally," "Wonderful Tonight," etc. Not "Promises," tho, which has rather nice choruses & backing  vocals....
Pat Benatar: Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Hell is for Children.
Doobie Bros: What a Fool Believes.
Blondie: The Tide is High.
...I know there's WAY more... I'll get back 2 this again the next time I'm feeling real cranky....

Mercifully, things got better. The stations finally seemed 2 realize it was NIGHT TIME & the Labor Day WEEKEND is coming, & they lightened up. Summa the following is way overplayed 2, but....
It may not seem like much, but I thot things were improving when I caught the Carpenters' guitar outro 2 "Goodbye to Love" -- THAT I cranked up. I've always loved it.
The radio folks followed-up with:
Steely Dan: Rikki Don't Lose That Number. Never liked this much back in the day, but am loving it more as the years go by, especially that sly piano & the later gtr solo.
Cat Stevens: Moonshadow.
ZZ Top: La Grange. Best thing they ever did? Have always loved the sorta muttered vocals at the beginning.
Blondie: Call Me.
Steve Miller: Jungle Love.
Bowie: Changes.
Heart: Crazy on You.
Kinks: Shangri-La. Also cranked this up loud....
Pat Benatar: We Belong.
Cee-Lo Green: Forget You. Love the way he whines like a baby in the middle -- & the funny lyrics.
Doobies: Taking it to the Streets, Long Train Runnin'.
CSNY: Carry On.
Who: Behind Blue Eyes.
Yardbirds: For Your Love.
Rod Stewart: Maggie May, twice, within 15 seconds of each other....
Stones: You Can't Always Get What You Want.
Rush: The Spirit of Radio.
We Five: You Were On My Mind. I don't get 1/2 the words & I don't care, it still sounds great loud, & those group vocals....
Tommy James & the Shondells: I Think We're Alone Now.
Van Morrison: Caravan.
Chicago: Wishing You Were Here.
Fleetwood Mac: You Make Loving Fun.
Stevie Nicks: Stand Back.
Beatles: Back in the USSR.
Paul Revere & the Raiders: Hungry.
Coldplay: Clocks.
Des'ree: You Gotta Be.
Def Leppard: Photograph.
Elton: Your Song.
Clash: Train in Vain (Stand By Me).
Creedence: Bad Moon Rising, Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Blind Faith: Can't Find My Way Home.
THAT's a good way 2 end the evening....

1 comment:

R S Crabb said...

Ya know TAD if I knew that radio was going to play the same 200 songs over and over again, my record collection would be a lot less ;)