Tuesday, May 22, 2012

#562: The CD Era dawns -- uneventfully

Started playing CDs at work seriously on Sun nite after finally discovering on Sat that the store's CD player actually WORKS -- & sounds BETTER than the shagged-out old cassette player, which had started eating tapes.
Sat nite's CD playlist looked like this:

Police -- It's Alright for You, Does Everyone Stare?, On Any Other Day.
Bangles -- Most of GREATEST HITS: Hero Takes a Fall, Going Down to Liverpool, Manic Monday, If She Knew What She Wants, Walk Like an Egyptian, Walking Down Your Street, Following, Hazy Shade of Winter, Be With You, I'll Set You Free, Everything I Wanted.

Most of MOTOWN CLASSIC GOLD:
Barrett Strong -- Money.
Martha and the Vandellas -- Dancing in the Street.
Junior Walker and the All-Stars -- Shotgun.
Supremes -- Stop in the Name of Love, Up the Ladder to the Roof.
Jimmy Ruffin -- What Becomes of the Broken Hearted.
Four Tops -- Reach Out I'll Be There.
Gladys Knight and the Pips -- I Heard it Through the Grapevine.
Marvin Gaye -- I Heard it Through the Grapevine, What's Going On.
David Ruffin -- My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me).
Temptations -- I Can't Get Next to You, Ball of Confusion, Papa Was a Rolling Stone.
Jackson 5 -- I Want You Back.
Stevie Wonder -- Fingertips Part 2, Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours.
Spinners -- It's a Shame.
Edwin Starr -- War.
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles -- Tears of a Clown.
Undisputed Truth -- Smiling Faces Sometimes.

Raspberries -- I Wanna Be With You, Tonight, I'm a Rocker, Ecstasy, Cruisin' Music, Starting Over, Overnight Sensation.
Hawkwind -- Urban Guerrilla, Sonic Attack, Psychedelic Warlords (all played repeatedly).
Keane -- Somewhere Only We Know, This is the Last Time, Bend and Break, Your Eyes Open.

Tho I played the Hawkwind trax repeatedly & the MOTOWN GOLD CD is almost as great (& as complete) as THE MOTOWN STORY (see below), the only stuff that REALLY grabbed me all nite was Keane. Every time I play that HOPES AND FEARS CD (1nce every year or 2) I'm reminded how great those 4 songs were. Whatever happened 2 those guys, anyway...?

Also got some apparent local-radio Bad News on Sun nite: KMTT FM "The Mountain" has apparently stopped running the Xcellent syndicated garage-rock/Oldies program "Little Steven's Underground Garage" every Sun nite from 10 pm 2 midnight -- at least they didn't run it this past Sun nite & didn't Xplain why. I tried 2 call them, but the toll-free number 2 their Seattle studio was busy. Maybe other fans of the show were complaining -- I hope so.
Does this mean no more loud, obnoxious, radio-underplayed music on Sun nites? That means I'll have 2 supply MY OWN....

Have started Max Barry's novel JENNIFER GOVERNMENT, about a weird future in which EVERYONE works 4 some corporation -- it's outrageous & funny. Have also just gotten in2 Gerri Hirshey's NOWHERE TO RUN, an acclaimed history of Soul/R&B. Likely I'll have reviews of both in the not-2-distant future....
More soon....

1 comment:

R S Crabb said...

Well Tad on the way home from Michigan the radio stations everywhere sucked and all the same. Still can't over the fact that Metallica is alternative?!? Only decent station was in Ann Arbor and they played White Stripes and Florence and the machine, even though I'm not a big fan of hers at least her stuff isn't played to death elsewhere.

I'd complain too if Little Steven's Underground Garage was taken off too or even throw a brick through their window but then again our CCC owned stations never had Little Steven's Garage on anywhere around here. Radio Stations suck.