Monday, July 21, 2014

Changes?

Not absolutely sure about this. It's been sneaking up on me for awhile. But I may be about to become a big soul/R&B/blues fanatic.
I've been bored with music for a long time. All the stuff I used to rely on mostly just sounds dull now.
But lately I've been listening more and more to stuff like Tacoma college radio station KPLU's "All Blues" on Saturday and Sunday nights, and it's been sounding better and better.
And they've been educating me. A week or two ago they played Aretha's "Dr. Feelgood," and that sounded pretty good. I'd never heard it before. I already knew about "Think" and "Chain of Fools," and as a kid I was a sucker for "Day Dreaming" and "'Til You Come Back to Me."
Tonight while I was working, KPLU played "I've Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You." I was distracted when it started, didn't realize who it was. But that first chorus stopped me in my tracks. God, it's freaking GREAT! And I've got it at home on ARETHA'S GOLD, and I can't believe I've never played it, or at least never PAID ATTENTION. Well, the next chance I get I'm gonna put it on and crank it up, and I don't care if the roommate's girlfriend doesn't like it.
Played "All Blues" almost all Sunday night at work, and almost all of it sounded really good. It's a whole area I know practically nothing about. I know some of the artists' names, but I can't tell Muddy Waters from Howlin' Wolf. So we'll see how this plays out. I think maybe what I'm needing musically these days is some strong emotion directly expressed. All that prog and stadium rock I grew up on don't seem to be cutting it anymore, so....
The only other thing I've heard lately that hit me as hard as "I've Never Loved a Man" was when SOUND OPINIONS played The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" for Tommy Ramone (who passed away recently at age 65), and man, that still sounds great. It only took about 10 years for me to hear THAT one....
Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Almost 55, and maybe I can still learn a few things....

No comments: