As an intro, I thot I'd post a LONG list of my Favrite Overlooked or 4got10 Songs of All Time. This list otta at least let U know what kinda odd musical taste I've got & what U're in 4 as U read further. This is an Xpanded list based on 1 originally published at my buddy RS Crabb's MySpace blog (http://blogs.myspace.com/townedger), & appears here w/ his approval. This list is at LEAST 2wice as long as the original (AMAZING what research can do), & tho the Top 10 & my comments there R the same (as near as I can remember), the long list of Honorable Mentions is much Xpanded. (I like lists.)
I'll TRY not 2 include NE Top 40 singles or Album Rock Classics (tho I love those 2) -- just the overlooked & 4got10 stuff here. Survive this & we'll talk more....
1. Gryphon, "Lament" (1974) -- The greatest prog-rock instrumental EVER. 11 gorgeous mins of recorder, krumhorn, bassoon, keybs & gtrs -- sad, mournful, stirring, & finally life-affirming. I want it played at my funeral.
2. Gryphon, "Spring Song" (1977) -- 10 mins of perfection, like a kinder, gentler Jethro Tull. Return of the krumhorns, recorders & bassoon, but with more gorgeous keybs & an Olde English fantasy lyric that brings all the parts 2gether. Like "Lament," this shoulda bn an art-rock classic EVERYBODY knows, & this band shoulda bn HUGE.
3. Fleetwood Mac, "Silver Springs" (1977) -- The B-side of "Go Your Own Way," shoulda bn included on RUMOURS, FINALLY gotta Grammy nomination 15 yrs later after a version was released on the Mac's live comeback album THE DANCE. Probly Stevie Nicks' best song ever, 4 gorgeous mins of heartbroken anguish, w/ great gtr by Lindsey Buckingham & an angry, bitter, stunning vocal fadeout.
4. Happy the Man, "Wind-Up Doll Day Wind" (1978) -- The best American prog-rock band? MayB. This mechanical, robotic # takes awhile 2 get started, but Kit Watkins' gorgeous keybs & Frank Wyatt's great sax blow the song wide open from the middle-break on, & Stan Whittaker's gtr joins in 4 a climax that's a total screeching blowout. Ron Riddle's smash&bash drumming ain't no slouch neither. Well worth the 7 mins.
5. Nick Drake, "Northern Sky" (1970) -- Gorgeous British folk from this moody singer-songwriter who died way 2 young. Possibly the best song ever written about the cosmic importance of love, as clear as a cool cloudless nite, w/ gorgeous keybs by former Velvet Undergrounder John Cale.
6. Providence, "Fantasy Fugue" (1972) -- From my fave 4got10 album of all time, EVER SENSE THE DAWN. The album's sorta a lighter Moody Blues record, & this is the closest thing on it 2 a singalong. Actually got some radio play in my (& Providence's) hometown, Boise, Idaho. Great group vocals, nice string trio, & autoharp -- who else woulda done it?
7. Moody Blues, "You and Me" (1972) -- 4 me their most striking song ever, shoulda led-off their SEVENTH SOJOURN album. The best mix ever of drummer Graeme Edge's poetry & gtrist Justin Hayward's commercial-hook-writing sense. The choruses R classic, the verses R gorgeous, & Hayward's gtr at the Nd is pretty striking 2. This shoulda bn a huge hit up there w/ "Nights in White Satin."
8. Caravan, "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again" (1973) -- Probly the sweetest song about sex U'll ever hear, w/ the MOST GORGEOUS circular-vocal Nding EVER. Great vocals by gtrist/songwriter Pye Hastings & the resta the group, great keybs by Dave Sinclair, & nice viola by Geoff Richardson. As EZ 2 get in2 as Fleetwood Mac, even if the song is narrated by a self-confessed dirty old man & there's refrences 2 legs, thighs & oral sex -- no airplay 4 this 1! But a CLASSIC!
9. Kate Bush, "This Woman's Work" (1989) -- This gorgeous piano&vocal tune was originally used in John Hughes' movie SHE'S HAVING A BABY, but the lyrics work in a variety of contexts. It was always a great song, & my son's absolute fave song in the WORLD when he was 2 -- but it's come 2 mean even more 2 me since the death of my mother. The sense of regret & loss Xpressed in the choruses is amazing, & the stunning vocal climax is almost 2 much 4 me 2 take now. Tough but brilliant.
10. King Crimson, "Starless" (1974) -- 12 mins from The Nd Of The World. Perfect music 4 plunging down a steep mtn rd w/o brakes. BRILLIANT gtr (by Robert Fripp), sax (by Ian McDonald) & percussion -- Bill Bruford sounds like he's bn waiting his whole LIFE 2 play this song & hava chance 2 flail & bash at his drum kit & what sounds like miked-up sheets of aluminum siding.... Dark, moody, riveting.
Joan Armatrading -- Persona Grata, Temptation, When I Get it Right, I Love it When You Call Me Names.
Badfinger -- In the Meantime/Some Other Time.
Bangles -- Let it Go, Dover Beach, Everything I Wanted, I'll Set You Free.
Barclay James Harvest -- Spirit on the Water, Hymn, Ring of Changes, The Song They Love to Sing, Play to the World, Taking Some Time On.
Bare Naked Ladies -- What a Good Boy, Light Up My Room, I'll Be That Girl, Alcohol, Never is Enough, Who Needs Sleep?, Some Fantastic, Get in Line.
Beach Boys -- Surf's Up, 'Til I Die, Cabinessence, Here Today, It's About Time, God Only Knows, Let's Go Away for Awhile, Trombone Dixie, Let Him Run Wild, Please Let Me Wonder, Kiss Me Baby, This Whole World, Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Good Timin', Good Time, There's No Other (Like My Baby).
Beatles -- There's a Place, Things We Said Today, Across the Universe, Dear Prudence, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey, I Am the Walrus, I Need You, The Night Before, Anytime at All, Wait, And Your Bird Can Sing, You've Really Got a Hold On Me, Oh Darling, Tell Me Why, Old Brown Shoe.
Be-Bop Deluxe -- Sleep That Burns.
Blondie -- Angels on the Balcony, Union City Blue, Victor, Atomic.
Blue Oyster Cult -- Astronomy, Morning Final, E.T.I.
Boston -- Hitch a Ride, Used to Bad News, My Destination.
Bread -- Been Too Long on the Road.
Brewer & Shipley -- Witchi-Tai-To.
Kate Bush -- Empty Bullring, December Will Be Magic Again, Cloudbusting, Running Up That Hill, The Man With the Child in His Eyes, Saxophone Song, Wow.
Byrds -- John Riley, I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better, Ballad of Easy Rider, Chestnut Mare, Chimes of Freedom, Bells of Rhymney.
Camel -- Manic, Sasquatch, City Life, Spirit of the Water, Breathless, Echoes, Never Let Go, Unevensong, Rhayader/Rhayader Goes to Town, Flight of the Snow Goose.
Captain and Tennille -- Ladybug.
Caravan -- Place of My Own, Dissociation, The World is Yours, Memory Lain/Hugh/Headloss, Be All Right, Virgin on the Ridiculous, For Richard (live), Can You Hear Me?, All the Way (With John Wayne's Single-Handed Liberation of Paris), The Dabsong Conshirtoe (opening).
Mary-Chapin Carpenter -- Passionate Kisses, This Shirt, You Win Again, The Long Way Home.
Cars -- Bye Bye Love, Dangerous Type.
Carlene Carter -- Every Little Thing, Sweet Meant to Be.
Chicago -- In Terms of Two.
The Church -- Reptile.
Clannad -- In Fortune's Hand, The Wild Cry, Journey's End.
Bruce Cockburn -- Incandescent Blue.
Coheed and Cambria -- The Road and the Damned, Feathers.
Crack the Sky -- Lighten Up McGraw (live).
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young -- Carry On, Deja Vu, Wooden Ships, Find the Cost of Freedom.
Sandy Denny -- Listen Listen.
Dire Straits -- Telegraph Road, Going Home (Theme from LOCAL HERO), Romeo and Juliet, Hand in Hand, Love Over Gold.
Nick Drake -- Hazey Jane II, At the Chime of a City Clock, Fly, Cello Song, From the Morning, Things Behind the Sun, Pink Moon, Sunday.
Dream Academy -- The Edge of Forever, In Places on the Run, This World, Bound to Be.
Bob Dylan -- One of Us Must Know.
Electric Light Orchestra -- Twilight, The Way Life's Meant to Be, Confusion, 10538 Overture.
Emerson, Lake and Palmer -- Fanfare for the Common Man (long version), Karn Evil 9 (First Impression).
Enya -- Storms in Africa.
Fairport Convention -- Come All Ye, I'll Keep it With Mine, Tale in Hard Time, Million Dollar Bash.
Fleet Foxes -- Blue Ridge Mountains.
Fleetwood Mac -- I Know I'm Not Wrong, The Farmer's Daughter, Sisters of the Moon, I'm So Afraid (live), Monday Morning (live), Isn't it Midnight?, Tango in the Night, World Turning, Murrow Rolling Over in His Grave, The Green Manalishi, Oh Well.
FM -- Phasors on Stun, Journey.
Dan Fogelberg -- Phoenix, Nexus, Along the Road, A Place in the World for a Gambler, Tell Me to My Face.
Fotheringay -- The Way I Feel.
Peter Gabriel -- Family Snapshot.
Genesis -- Ripples, Madman Moon, Vancouver, Inside and Out, Afterglow, Your Own Special Way, Undertow, You Might Recall.
Gentle Giant -- Think of Me With Kindness, Funny Ways (live), His Last Voyage, Time to Kill, Pentegruel's Nativity, The Advent of Panurge, Raconteur Troubadour, The Power and the Glory (single).
Glass Moon -- Solsbury Hill, Sundays and Mondays.
Go-Go's -- Can't Stop the World, You Thought, Forget That Day, Capture the Light, I'm With You.
Golden Earring -- Snot Love in Spain.
Grateful Dead -- Terrapin Part 1, Passenger, Uncle John's Band.
Gryphon -- The Ploughboy's Dream, Ethelion, (Ein Klein) Heldenleben, Wallbanger, Fall of the Leaf, Major Disaster.
Guess Who -- Road Food.
Daryl Hall -- Something in 4/4 Time.
Happy the Man -- Service With a Smile, Open Book.
Hawkwind -- You'd Better Believe It.
Justin Hayward & John Lodge -- When You Wake Up.
Heart -- Rockin' Heaven Down, Love Alive.
Janis Ian -- When the Party's Over, From Me to You, In the Winter, Watercolors.
Illusion -- Everywhere You Go, Candles are Burning.
Jade Warrior -- A Winter's Tale.
Keith Jarrett -- Country.
Jefferson Airplane -- Good Shepherd, Crown of Creation, We Can Be Together, Volunteers.
Jefferson Starship -- Save Your Love, All Nite Long, Freedom at Point Zero, Fading Lady Light, Winds of Change.
Jethro Tull -- Baker Street Muse, Fat Man, Teacher, Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day, The Third Hoorah, The Whistler, Dark Ages, Dun Ringill, ...And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps, One Brown Mouse, Back to the Family.
Elton John -- Teacher I Need You, Gray Seal, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Ego.
Rickie Lee Jones -- We Belong Together, On Saturday Afternoons in 1963.
Norah Jones -- Shoot the Moon, The Long Day is Over.
Journey -- Daydream, People and Places, Escape, Troubled Child.
Kansas -- Miracles Out of Nowhere, Questions of My Childhood, Journey From Mariabronn, Cheyenne Anthem, Reason to Be.
Keane -- Bend and Break, This is the Last Time.
Kinks -- Victoria, Apeman, Shangri-La, Dead End Street, Village Green Preservation Society.
King Crimson -- Frame By Frame, Sleepless, The Great Deceiver, Doctor Diamond (live), Larks 1&2 (live), Fracture (live), The Talking Drum (live).
Led Zeppelin -- The Rover, Over the Hills and Far Away, When the Levee Breaks, Carouselambra.
Left Banke -- Desiree.
Gordon Lightfoot -- Summer Side of Life, 10 Degrees and Getting Colder, Seven Islands Suite, Beautiful, The Circle is Small.
Lobo -- A Simple Man.
Love -- You Set the Scene, Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale, Alone Again Or.
Jeff Lynne -- Lift Me Up, Every Little Thing.
Madonna -- The Look of Love, Bad Girl, Dear Jessie, Oh Father.
Manfred Mann's Earth Band -- Stranded.
Carolyne Mas -- Stillsane, Sadie Says.
Lyle Mays -- Ascent.
Pat Metheny -- San Lorenzo, New Chatauqua, The Search, Ozark, Praise, The First Circle, As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls (theme).
Joni Mitchell -- Raised on Robbery, Coyote.
Modern English -- I Melt With You, Carry Me Down.
Monkees -- Tapioca Tundra, Love is Only Sleeping, Your Auntie Grizelda, Take a Giant Step, As We Go Along.
Moody Blues -- Simple Game, Eyes of a Child Part 2, It's Up to You, You Can Never Go Home, For My Lady, Meanwhile, Nervous, Veteran Cosmic Rocker, In My World, Blue World, Sorry, Gypsy, Our Guessing Game, One More Time to Live, Peak Hour.
Motorhead -- Killed By Death, Born to Raise Hell.
The Move -- Message from the Country, Do Ya.
Nektar -- It's All Over, Do You Believe in Magic?, King of Twilight.
New Order -- Regret.
The Nice -- America, Rondo.
1994: -- Our Time Will Come.
Tom Petty -- Even the Losers.
Pink Floyd -- Flaming, Astronome Domine (live), High Hopes.
Pogues -- Lorelei, Fairytale of New York.
Police -- Omegaman, Secret Journey, On Any Other Day, Does Everyone Stare?
Pretenders -- Mystery Achievement, Message of Love, Talk of the Town, 2000 Miles, Lovers of Today, Kid, Stop Your Sobbing, Birds of Paradise.
Procol Harum -- Wreck of the Hesperus, Shine on Brightly, A Salty Dog, In Held T'was In I (live) (2nd 1/2).
Providence -- If We Were Wise, Neptune's Door, The Stream.
Queen -- '39, The Prophet's Song, Need Your Lovin' Tonight, Rock It (Prime Jive), It's Late.
Renaissance -- Ashes Are Burning (live, 1st 3 mins), Can You Understand? (live), Running Hard (live), Northern Lights, Rahan Khan.
REO Speedwagon -- Blazing Your Own Trail Again.
Scarlet Rivera -- Day of the Unicorn.
Roches -- Hammond Song, Quitting Time.
Rollers -- Hello and Welcome Home, Stoned Houses #2.
Roxy Music -- The Thrill of it All, Over You, Same Old Scene.
Todd Rundgren -- Saving Grace, Couldn't I Just Tell You?, The Very Last Time (w/Utopia).
Rush -- Time Stand Still, Force Ten, Distant Early Warning, Manhattan Project, Mystic Rhythms (live), The Camera Eye.
Shoes -- Too Late, In My Arms Again, Now and Then, Every Girl.
Sky -- Vivaldi, Watching the Aeroplanes, Where Opposites Meet, Scipio.
Grace Slick -- Full Moon Man.
Jordin Sparks -- Now You Tell Me, Tattoo, Worth the Wait.
Spider -- Shady Lady, New Romance (It's a Mystery).
Split Enz -- Hard Act to Follow, History Never Repeats, Albert of India, Six Months in a Leaky Boat, Poor Boy, Clumsy, Wail.
Squeeze -- Pulling Mussells from the Shell.
Steeleye Span -- Allison Gross, All Around My Hat, One Misty Moisty Morning, Fighting for Strangers.
Steely Dan -- Gaucho, Any Major Dude Will Tell You, My Old School.
Al Stewart -- Modern Times, Apple Cider Reconstitution, Flying Sorcery, Almost Lucy, Valentina Way, Rocks in the Ocean, Running Man.
Stories -- Please Please, Love is in Motion, What Comes After.
Strawbs -- Where is This Dream Of Your Youth?, Down by the Sea, Hero and Heroine, Part of the Union.
Supertramp -- Babajii, From Now On, Crime of the Century, Child of Vision, Gone Hollywood, Just Another Nervous Wreck.
Sutherland Bros & Quiver -- You've Got Me Anyway, Arms of Mary.
Tears for Fears -- The Working Hour, Broken.
Steve Tibbetts -- Ur.
Pam Tillis -- Whenever You Walk in the Room, Homeward Looking Angel, Melancholy Child.
Pete Townshend -- Slit Skirts, Now and Then, A Little is Enough, North Country Girl.
Turtles -- Lady-O, We'll Meet Again.
Judie Tzuke -- Stay With Me 'til Dawn, These Are the Laws, Welcome to the Cruise.
U.K. -- Time to Kill.
Vangelis -- Alpha, Spiral, To the Unknown Man.
Suzanne Vega -- Cracking, Knight Moves, Small Blue Thing.
Waterboys -- A Life of Sundays.
Weather Report -- Bahia/Boogie Woogie Waltz medley (live).
The Who -- Relay, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy, Blue Red and Grey, Slip Kid, Daily Records, Another Tricky Day.
Wigwam -- Bless Your Lucky Stars, Simple Human Kindness, Do or Die.
Steve Winwood -- Still in the Game.
Yes -- Your Move, The South Side of the Sky, Close to the Edge (live), Wonderous Stories, Turn of the Century, No Opportunity Necessary No Experience Needed, America, Looking Around, Every Little Thing.