Friday, November 13, 2009

Bloggers Anonymous

I useta B a books & music addict. Now I'm an Internet addict.
I'm addicted 2 music- & book-review blogs & websites. It's 2 bad that I haven't found that many of them. But there's about 1/2-a-dozen that I check-in w/ every day, just 2 C what's going on, C if they've posted NEthing new, C how they're getting thru their day.
If they wanna toss in some personal stuff about how they spent their day or their wknd, what happened 2 them during their last trip down 2 the boozer, or how the job's makin them crazy like usual, that's great 2 -- but mainly what hooks me R their views on music or books.
I wish there were more. I wish more people would Xpress their opinions.
Mosta the music blogs & sites I've stumbled-over just post stuff 2 download. Some of them don't even COMMENT about what they're posting. I just assume if they post it, they must like it or at least think some1 else out there will want 2 hear it.
I've found mayB 3 Dcent book-review sites ever. I know a lotta people still read, but book reviews don't Xactly hook the attn like a chance 2 download the latest track by the newest hot young thing -- B4 radio even gets it! Or mayB some old song U thot everybody 4got about AGES ago....
Ghod knows there's something 4 all tastes out there. There's a few folks around my age who R blogging or running sites, but I wish there were more. Or mayB I just don't share the current bunch's intrests. 1 site, www.laylasclassicrock.blogspot.com/, mainly posts news-briefs about classic rockers. This is cool. & she does post links 2 lotsa other Classic Rock-related sites. But there Rn't NE reviews, so....
Whenever I'm on-line I always check-in at Asleep On the Compost Heap (http://onavery.blogspot.com/) -- it's a daily thing. Not only does Gardenhead have Good Musical Taste, he also writes some very funny stuff, even when he's just recounting his Xperiences while walking the dog at 6 am. Sometimes it's just fun 2 check-in & C what's going on in the village of Kells over in Ireland. + G is a LOT more up-2-date on good new bands than I am....
I WOULD check-in daily at There Will Be Blog (http://adamprincebilly.wordpress.com/), if Adam would get back 2 posting more regularly. He's bn awfully quiet 4 the past month or so.... (There's no law saying we all HAVE 2 write & post every day. Some people write 2 MUCH. & I'm probly 1 of em....)
I've bn checking-in w/ Rastronomicals at http://lahistoriadelamusicarock.blogspot.com/, now that he's come back 2 life recently after taking a vacation. If U haven't checked-out Rastro's work U should do so. I don't always know the music he writes about, but he is always well-in4med & thotful, & some of his write-ups R F'in hilarious....
I check-in 1nce every wk or so at Mark Prindle's record-review site (http://www.markprindle.com/), 2 read his "What's New?" & C what outrageous new reviews of Hot New Bands The Kids Dig he's posted recently. Mark is the illegitimate father of mosta us weirdos who try 2 review music on-line, his website is HUGE (100's of artists reviewed, interviews 2), & I've got a few silly comments scattered here & there, the 1st I ever submitted NEwhere on-line (over 10 yrs ago)....
I also check-in every coupla days at RS Crabb's MySpace blog (http://blogs.myspace.com/townedger) 2 C what this wk's Crabb Top 10 includes, or 2 C what Crabby's ranting & raving about as he works his way thru another day out there in Iowa. Could U imagine? I grew-up in Idaho & the last time I was back there it was STILL a cultural wasteland. Not sure I could handle Iowa. I spent a lifetime during 6 yrs in Wyoming....
About the best active book-review site I know-of right now is the blog at Bookslut (http://www.bookslut.com/blog/). They update daily, they're hilarious, I love their Attitude & their punchy/edgy humor. & if there's a hilarious controversy somewhere in publishing, they'll point U toward it....
U may have noticed that none of these sites R Xactly CNN. After 20 yrs of Bing a reporter, at times I think "Who needs the Real World?" Most days a good music- or book-review site (or even a personal blog) can tell me everything I needta know. Or even stuff I didn't know I needed 2 know .... (?)
...I'm still looking 4 more. There R other review-sites I visit now & then (I wrote-up a TON of them at my old website, TAD's Weird-Ass Music and Books), but once I read thru their back-catalog stuff I get impatient 4 their new stuff....
I don't ask 4 much. All I want is a website/blog that'll point me toward great music old & new, great overlooked reading of all kinds, add some neat personal stuff now & then, make me laff & cry, make & serve my coffee while I lounge here at the computer, & make me feel like I'm connecting w/ some people out there who actually HAVE brains & a sense of humor. I deal w/ enuf of the OTHER kind of people every day....
Sheesh, my OWN blog can't even do all that.
But I'll B working on it. Cos my dirty little secret that U out there have probly already figured-out is that I'd rather write than read or listen....
It's 2 bad this technology wasn't available 20 or 30 yrs ago. My whole life mighta turned-out diffrent. (Course I haven't got10 rich & famous doing this. Yet....)
After 20+ yrs of stressing-out 2 much EVERY SINGLE DAY, I still need some1 2 talk w/, some1 2 pass-on all my useless in4mation 2. & this Cms 2 B the 4mat I've chosen. I ain't done yet....
During the 2 mo's I was cut-off from blogging I felt lost, w/o a purpose or a Mission in Life, adrift, Dpressed. True, I read 1/2 a dozen novels. & I've only read a coupla books since I got back on-line.
This has Bcome so much a part of my life that I've stopped keeping a journal -- it was the same boring stuff over&over NEway. Most of what I'm thinking these days, & practically NEthing the slightest bit "creative," Nds up here.
MayB I'd finish writing that rock-group novel if I wasn't on-line. But I kinda doubt it. & I don't mind. I don't really think it's that much of a loss. MayB this is what I was meant 2 B doing all along. Having something (some formatted writing project) 2 look 4ward-2 keeps me going....
Don't NEbody out there B tryin 2 pull NE Interventions on me -- Bcos I will NOT go 2 Rehab....
(....PS -- Twice this wk I've put new (2 me) music on the CD player 2 B listened-2 & reviewed here, & I got interrupted by my roommates both times. I'll try again 2morrow. & I'll have new music-reviews posted here soon. I promise. No, really. I mean it this time....)

1 comment:

rastronomicals said...

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com if you're not already familiar with it is a good SF and Fantasy review site. Although the hooch is being cut somewhat with games and comics these days, Pat is still very widely read, and he writes informative and down to earth reviews.