Saturday, January 24, 2015

Friday night playlist 2

...Pretty much the usual stuff, plus:
Tedeschi Trucks Band -- *Made Up Mind, *The Storm, Calling Out to You, Do I Look Worried?, Idle Wind, Misunderstood, Part of Me, Whiskey Legs (all from MADE UP MIND).
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes -- *The Love I Lost, *Bad Luck, If You Don't Know Me By Now.

Tedeschi Trucks Band really rocks on "Made Up Mind," and "The Storm" has some nice guitar work. Unfortunately, these are the only two songs on their MADE UP MIND disc that really seem to rock. On a lot of the rest, they sound something like a Southern-Rock Fleetwood Mac. "Idle Wind" with its added flute sounds vaguely Jethro Tull-ish. "Whiskey Legs" is bluesy -- that doesn't mean I like it much. "Made Up Mind" has everything you'd ever want from a classic rock and roll song except for a really great ending. It just sort of ... stops.
I'll be listening more....
Hadn't heard Harold Melvin -- with Teddy Pendergrass on lead vocals -- since the early '70s. Had forgotten how really brilliantly these songs are sung. "The Love I Lost"'s choruses are just killer, and "Bad Luck" has always been a fave. I can't play "If You Don't Know Me By Now" at work -- it's too gloppy and slows me down. But man, Teddy was a helluva singer....

No comments: