Tuesday, January 3, 2012

#510: And the hits just keep on comin'....

Just got thru a coupla brutal, long weeks at work. I worked both holidays. Christmas Eve wasn't bad, but Christmas Nite was unbelievably busy -- after about 6 pm we were the only store open in the neighborhood. The folks just kept on comin' in....
The radio was useless all thru it. The local radio folks didn't seemta realize it was a holiday, or even a weekend. Not enuf upbeat energy-filled stuff 2 keep me bouncing around & keep my mood up. So....
Realizing that local radio would likely remain useless, & knowing I'd probly need the NRG & support, I packed-up a bag of CDs & 20-year-old homemade cassettes 2 use as appropriate motivational music 4 New Year's Eve & New Year's Nite.
Neither nites were as busy as Xmas nite, but the music kept me moving, happy & bouncing around. & the tapes worked so well I never even GOT 2 the CDs.
I also had my own agenda of sneaking in subversive shoulda-been-hits rather than the Same Old Shit the radio always plays. This wasn't a total success -- tho I'm sure folks noticed that I stayed happy & NRgetic thru both nites & didn't collapse until after work Sun nite. But only a few folks noticed what was playing -- or at least noticed that it generally wasn't the Same Old Shit. (OK, SOME of it WAS the Same Old Shit, but a lot of it was Great Stuff radio oughta B playing.)
NEway, my mission was accomplished, I sneaked thru some Great Stuff people didn't realize was Bing secretly inflicted on them, & I may start doing this every nite I work. Hey, ya gotta change the world in the only ways you know how, right?
More about all this below. 1st, the playlist:

Clash: Train in Vain (Stand by Me).
Easybeats: Friday on My Mind.
Bobby Fuller Four: I Fought the Law.
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Who'll Stop the Rain?
Rolling Stones: Tumbling Dice.
Raiders: Hungry, Him or Me -- What's it Gonna Be?
Badfinger: No Matter What, Baby Blue, Day After Day.
Cheap Trick: Surrender.
Ronettes: Be My Baby, Baby I Love You.
Bob Seger: Rock and Roll Never Forgets.
Five Man Electrical Band: Absolutely Right.
Spencer Davis Group: Gimme Some Lovin'.
Four Tops: It's the Same Old Song.
Martha and the Vandellas: Dancing in the Street.
Cyndi Lauper: Money Changes Everything.
Buffalo Springfield: Bluebird, Mr. Soul.
Jefferson Airplane: Somebody to Love.
Rod Stewart: Maggie May.
Three Dog Night: Celebrate.
Chicago: Feelin' Stronger Every Day.
Blue Ridge Rangers (John Fogerty): Hearts of Stone.
Freddy Cannon: Palisades Park.
Mary-Chapin Carpenter: Passionate Kisses.
Tricia Yearwood: Wrong Side of Memphis.
B.J. Thomas: Rock and Roll Lullabye.
Richie Valens: La Bamba.
Buddy Holly: Peggy Sue.
Poco: A Good Feelin' to Know, Here We Go Again.
Queen: Need Your Loving Tonight.
Billy Joel: Traveling Prayer, All for Leyna.
Supertramp: From Now On.
Steve Winwood: Valerie.
John Lennon: Stand by Me.
Neil Diamond: Do It, Crunchy Granola Suite, Holly Holy, Soolaimon.
Elton John: Teacher I Need You.
David Bowie: Suffragette City.
Bangles: Everything I Wanted, Let it Go, September Gurls, Hero Takes a Fall, All About You, Dover Beach.
Traffic: Glad.
Mark Knopfler: Going Home (Theme of the Local Hero).
Jane Wiedlin: Rush Hour.
Fleetwood Mac: Everywhere.
Dream Academy: Life in a Northern Town.
Pentangle: Light Flight.
'Til Tuesday: Maybe Monday.
Heart: Alone, Never.
Tracey Chapman: Talking 'Bout a Revolution.
Byrds: I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better.
Camel: Sasquatch, Manic.
Tears for Fears: Broken, Head Over Heels.
Joni Mitchell: Coyote.
Icicle Works: Birds Fly (A Whisper to a Scream).
Cream: Badge.
Van Morrison: Wild Night, Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile), Caravan, Into the Mystic.
Paul McCartney: No More Lonely Nights.
Youngbloods: Get Together.
Pat Benatar: We Belong.
A Flock of Seagulls: I Ran, Space Age Love Song, Wishing.
Prince: 1999.
Everly Brothers: Walk Right Back.
Joe Cocker: Feelin' Alright.
Grand Funk Railroad: Rock and Roll Soul.
Supremes: Up the Ladder to the Roof.
Elton John: Bite Your Lip (Get Up and Dance!).
Ian Thomas: Painted Ladies.
Bullet: White Lies Blue Eyes.
Brewer and Shipley: One Toke Over the Line.
Christie: Yellow River.
Jeff Lynne: Every Little Thing, Lift Me Up.
Paul Simon: You Can Call Me Al.
Bruce Springsteen: Rosalita.
Rush: Show Don't Tell, Time Stand Still, Distant Early Warning.
John Cougar Mellencamp: Authority Song.
Pat Metheny: Praise.
Gordon Lightfoot: High and Dry.
INXS: New Sensation.
Bob Dylan: One of Us Must Know.
Jefferson Starship: Find Your Way Back.
Steve Tibbetts: Ur.
Glass Moon: Solsbury Hill.
Roxy Music: The Thrill of it All.
REO Speedwagon: Roll With the Changes, Blazing Your Own Trail Again.
Journey: Feeling That Way, Anytime.
ELO: Twilight, The Way Life's Meant to Be.
Kate Bush: This Woman's Work.

...So, as you can see, only mildly subversive stuff ... until I started sneaking Roxy & Kate Bush in there.
& while I KNOW people noticed that I was pretty happy & NRgetic, only a couple folks asked about the music that was keeping me that way. 1 guy guessed right on B.J. Thomas after I gave him a coupla hints, but he didn't know the song. Another guy knew he was hearing Rush but couldn't place "Time Stand Still" -- it was "too new" for him. I know the feeling....
I had more stuff planned 2 play, & still do -- I had halfadozen more tapes in my bag. But after 2 nites of almost-non-stop bouncing around 2 the music & actually doing SOME work ... I got a helluva headache & had 2 dope-up & shut the music off until the headache went away....

COMING UP NEXT: "CAVING IN" -- listening to current (very) popular sounds, old sounds, & some just plain weird sounds....

No comments: