Saturday, January 7, 2012

#513: Messing with people 1 song at a time....

Continuing 2 provide my own soundtrack at work as local radio continues 2 suck. The 1 nite I didn't take my own music 2 work this week was the worst work nite I've had in awhile. More recent nites' playlists have been a touch more subversive, see below. Effect on the unsuspecting general public remains iffy at best. Comments follow the playlist:

Bailter Space: Retro.
Cat Power: He War. (Thanx 2 Rastro 4 these 2.)
Blue Oyster Cult: Astronomy (IMAGINOS version).
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Stranded.
Cars: Hello Again, Magic, Drive.
Genesis: Paperlate, You Might Recall....
Journey: Still They Ride.
Pretenders: 2000 Miles.
Blondie: Angels on the Balcony.
Bob Seger: Even Now.
Steve Winwood: Still in the Game.
Tracey Ullman: They Don't Know.
Elton John: Empty Garden.
A Flock of Seagulls: Wishing.
Toto: Africa.
Pete Townshend: Slit Skirts.
Saga: Wind Him Up.
Fanny: Charity Ball.
Uriah Heep: Easy Livin'.
Guess Who: Road Food.
Lobo: A Simple Man.
Glen Campbell: Try a Little Kindness. (I always thot this song was kind of a joke, but I'm not sure Glen could figure out the irony. He sounds sincere -- the lyrics don't, not really....)
Mason Williams: Classical Gas.
Fendermen: Mule Skinner Blues.
Trashmen: Surfin' Bird.
Rivingtons: Poppa-Ooo-Mow-Mow.
Dramatics: Whatcha See is Whatcha Get.
Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart: I Wonder What She's Doin' Tonight.
Carlene Carter: Little Love Letter #1, Every Little Thing, Sweet Meant to Be, Little Love Letter #2, Heart is Right.
Beatles: Tell Me Why, I'm Happy Just to Dance With You, Things We Said Today, Anytime at All, No Reply, I'll Follow the Sun, Everybody's Trying to be My Baby, There's a Place, I'll Be Back, She's a Woman, The Night Before, I Need You, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, I'm a Loser, I'll Cry Instead, I Should Have Known Better, And Your Bird Can Sing, Norwegian Wood....
...There were also a few repeats from the previous list....

...Have I mentioned that I'll vouch 4 the high quality of all this stuff I'm inflicting on people? Wonder if I could get a government grant 2 study people's reactions? 1 guy bounced around pretty good 2 the choruses of the Cars' "Magic," & a Regular got the giggles just from hearing "Surfin' Bird."
...I've noticed I haven't used much Heavy stuff so far (does Cream's "Badge" count?), but there's more stuff in my bag of tapes, & I'm looking 4 more stuff 2 suprise people with.
Course it hasta keep ME bouncy & motivated & happy in my work 2, so....
More updates will B posted in the future on how this ongoing study is proceeding....

PS -- Currently about 1/2way thru Geoff Emerick's HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE, about his Xperiences recording & engineering the music of the Beatles & others. Emerick sound-engineered 4 the Beatles from REVOLVER onward. Xcellent details -- you really get a good feel 4 the almost laboratory-like atmosphere at EMI's Abbey Road Studios when the Fabs were 1st starting out. So far, looks like a really Xcellent Bhind-the-scenes book. Only weirdness is Emerick seems 2 have a bit of an axe 2 grind against George Harrison & George Martin; not sure what's up with that. Review coming soon....

No comments: