Thursday, March 21, 2013

#645: March 20 playlist

Thanx 2 a new batch of oldies CD's, had the best "Monday nite" at work that I've had in a long time. Had the tunes cranked-up from about 8:30 pm on, & they kept me movin when I was starting 2 drag towards the end. Here's what I was listening 2 & inflicting on other people -- some of this stuff is brand new 2 me....

Chicago -- Questions 67 & 68, Free, Lowdown, Dialogue Parts 1 & 2.
Byrds -- I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better, My Back Pages, 5D (Fifth Dimension), Mr. Spaceman, Ballad of Easy Rider, Goin' Back, Have You Seen Her Face?, Lady Friend, Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn!, Eight Miles High, So You Want to be a Rock 'N' Roll Star.
Van Morrison -- Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile), Wild Night, Domino, Cleaning Windows, Wonderful Remark.
Bachman-Turner Overdrive -- Blue Collar, Let it Ride, Roll on Down the Highway.
Bob Dylan -- Tangled Up in Blue, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Like a Rolling Stone.
Journey -- Lights, Feeling That Way/Anytime, La Do Da, Somethin' to Hide.
Temptations -- Get Ready, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, You're My Everything, I Can't Get Next to You, I Wish  it Would Rain.

NOTES: Chicago still sounds great; "Questions 67 & 68" is an old fave from '71 that shoulda sold millions. "Free," "Lowdown" & "Dialogue" all sound like pure 1971, filled with the concerns of that time.
Byrds still sound great, of course. "Feel a Whole Lot Better" shoulda sold millions. "Easy Rider"'s still gorgeous, & "Goin' Back" is a sweet longing 4 Olde Times. "Have You Seen Her Face?" & "Lady Friend" R also both very pretty. "My Back Pages" is still a fave -- Dylan's words R pretty-much gibberish, but great vocal harmonies on the choruses.
Van's "Jackie Wilson Said" & "Wild Night" R old faves; "Cleaning Windows" is a very relaxed, offbeat number about a job Van had when he was younger, the music he heard & the records he bought when he was a young guy in Ireland. Can see why it wasn't a hit, but it's very lite & diffrent. "Wonderful Remark" has a Gospel/R&B feel, still trying 2 figure out the lyrics....
BTO's "Blue Collar" & "Roll On Down the Highway" both sounded great, haven't heard them in awhile....
"Tangled Up in Blue" has really grown on me over the last year -- it's an intresting story, full of real poetry & Dylan's usual touches of humor. It's even moving.
Journey's INFINITY still sounds great, especially olde favorites "Feeling That Way/Anytime" & "Somethin' to Hide." Played "Lights" 4 my old friend Don Vincent.
Intresting how the Tempts' "Get Ready" almost sounds (2 me) like Smokey Robinson & the Miracles. (Smokey wrote it.) Sorta a lighter vocal touch than a lot of the Tempts' stuff. Hadn't heard "I Wish it Would Rain" in awhile -- very nice.
Still have new (old) stuff by the Supremes, Miracles & Four Tops 2 try-out. More soon!

No comments: