Saturday, December 26, 2009

Got to admit it's Getting Better....

Greetings all. Hope yr Xmas is a happy 1.
I had my busiest workday in 6 yrs yesterday at the store: 2wice as busy as a normal nite, 2wice as many customers. I was sposta get off-work 2 hrs early, but there were so many people out (R store was apparently the only place in town open after about 7 pm) that I Nded up putting-in a 10-hr shift & got home Xactly 15 mins earlier than usual. Some Xmas break. Not that I'm grumping....
Every1 was in a pretty good mood, as they shoulda bn on a holiday, so it was actually a pretty quick&EZ nite -- Xcept 4 1 guy, 1 of R semi-regulars, who dropped-in about 90 mins in2 my shift when I was still inna Good Mood & not all tired & fed-up w/ the non-stop flood of people.
& this guy told me -- dead-seriously, he was NOT happy -- that I was in WAY 2 GOOD A MOOD & I needed 2 take a step back & get ahold of myself.
On CHRISTMAS!
This is 1 of the risks of trying 2 hava good time while working -- some1 will always try 2 slap that smile offa yr face, sooner or later. Ghod 4bid NE1 should try 2 Njoy themselves at work, even onna holiday....
But still, on Christmas?!
So. I didn't kill him. In fact, I gave him my standard farewell: "Have a good nite, B careful out there...." & he said nothing.
But I think if he comes back in again in the same mood I'm gonna tell him we don't need his $$$ & he can take his grumpiness somewhere else. Cos I didn't do NEthing wrong. Xcept B in a better mood than he was....
In the meantime, I 4got 2 other great Xmas songs 2 add 2 the Ndless list I started making 3 wks ago:
* Elton John: "Step Into Christmas" (1973) -- Just like my buddy Crabby sez at his MySpace blog (http://blogs.myspace.com/townedger), Elton matches Phil Spector at his best in this marvelous mix of massive choir, jangling bells, great acoustic strumming & swirly keyboards. Shoulda bn a huge hit.
* Nilsson: "Remember (Christmas)" (1972, from SON OF SCHMILSSON) -- If U agree that Christmas can B a thing of bittersweet nostalgia 4 the best of times gone by, U may love this -- tho Christmas itself is never specifically mentioned. Sure sounds like the holidays, tho. From 1 of the oddest Top 10 albums ever, I hadn't heard it in YRS when an ALL MUSIC GUIDE review rang bells w/ me, & when I played it I realized I'd heard the whole thing sevral times in highschool & then 4got10 it. "Remember" is probly the best thing on the album (also includes the minor hit "Spaceman"), but worth a spin if U're in2 the off-the-wall....
Still reading Johnathon Green's DAYS IN THE LIFE (about the '60s British psychedelic underground), about 1/2way thru now, & I've got 2 admit it's getting better. There's more about music -- Beatles, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, SGT. PEPPER -- & LSD has made an appearance. Some of the book is laff-out-loud funny, 1nce U get in2 it. Might B worth tracking down if U're a closet Anglophile like me. I'll have a full review soon....
That "sunny-day-songs" list I did is still working: Sun's bn out all day 2day & temps in the 40s. Not bad 4 Washington at the Nd of Dec, but I hear the rain is coming early next wk. Am still tempted 2 post that list, but I don't wanna B blamed 4 further Global Warming -- tho apparently the rest of the country could USE some more Global Warming....
Njoy yr holidays & don't let the Stress or the Dummies get U down.... -- TAD.

1 comment:

rastronomicals said...

Merry Christmas Tad. Sorry to hear you had to work, but I understand that's the way of the world sometimes.

Melanie had to work yesterday, and when I used to put out the morning paper (back when that was a viable industry), I probably worked eight Christmases out of ten.

I guess given the nature of the season we should all hope that we end up spending half our life working Christmas so that others enjoy, and half our life having it off, and doing the enjoying. . . .