Saturday, December 5, 2009

Great Comedy Songs!

OK, that last post gotta little heavy, even tho I was trying 2 have fun. So let's lighten-up a little MORE. Here's a list of great comedy songs, some of which R great 2 laff along w/, & a few of which R just fun 2 laff AT. Njoy!
* Afro-Man: "Because I Got High" -- Now I myself do not partake of the Demon Weed With Its Roots In Hell (nothing stronger than coffee & junkfood 4 me), but I know there R millions out there who DO. However, I have never met NE1 who HASN'T bn sent in2 convulsive laffter by this brilliant doo-wop # about over-indulging in yr favrite addictive substance. U don't even hav2've smoked it 2 get the clear msg. & the singing is SO SWEET. It's perfect, & it's SO funny U'll B crying, I guarantee. Afro-Man & friends should've bn millionaires by now, & this song shoulda topped all the charts -- which would likely never happen cuzza the subject-matter & summa the lyrics. Afro-Man's "A Colt 45 & Two Zigzags" ain't 2 bad neither, but it won't put tears in yr eyes or make yr stomach hurt from laffing so hard....
* Jimmy Castor Bunch: "Troglodyte" (1972) -- An actual hit, w/ the boominest bass & drums I'd ever heard at the time. This is also pretty hysterical, if pretty obvious -- if there's Cave Men, they're only gonna have 1 thing on their minds: CAVE WOMEN! Uuuhhhh....
* Golden Earring: "Snot Love in Spain" (1979, from NO PROMISES NO REGRETS) -- This is WAY better & WAY funnier than either "Radar Love" or "Twilight Zone." That drunken lout Barry Hay gets in2 Major Trouble hanging out & getting drunk w/ bored Germans & other tourists on the Spanish coast. The insolent way Hay sings this guarantees that he's in 4 a punch in the mouth. + great harmonica, & the hilarious lyrics, backing vocals & choruses R ALL GREAT! U'll B singing along by the 2nd chorus....
* Wigwam: "Simple Human Kindness" (1975, from NUCLEAR NIGHTCLUB) -- Singer/songwriter/keyboard-guy Jim Pembroke sounds like he's having a Really Bad Day, & his friends R no help as they bombard him w/ hilarious, cliched, useless advice about how best 2 get thru it. MayB best summed-up by Pembroke's weary sigh just B4 the last verse. Sorta a down-2-Earth mid-tempo folk-style #, sorta like a stripped-down Supertramp, by a classic mid-'70s band from Finland that I'll bet U've never heard. U should track this down....
* Surf Punks: "My Beach" (1980) -- Possibly a hilarious new low in L.A. Punk Minimalism, this screamingly funny 2-min-long turf-war song only has about 5 two-word lines in it, repeated over&over. & it's great! Were they Real Punks? Well, 1 of em was Daryl Dragon (The Captain of ...& Tennille)'s brother....
* Outkast: "Hey Ya" (from SPEAKERBOXXX/THE LOVE BELOW) -- When I 1st heard this a few yrs back I thot it was the silliest & most joyous thing I'd heard on the radio in YRS. The video's hysterical 2. & tho there's lots of silliness, most of the lyrics R not a joke. & the keyboard riff is GREAT. From the same album, "Roses" is pretty funny 2....
* Frank Zappa: "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" (1972, from WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH) -- Yeah, he did a lotta really stupid stuff, but this 1's still pretty great, cos it has an actual tune 2 go w/ the silly lyrics, mayB? From the same album, "Oh No" -- Frank's answer song 2 the Beatles' "All You Need is Love" -- is also funny & worth hearing, tho here the satire is MUCH more direct....
* Trashmen: "Surfin Bird" -- This is an amazing 2 mins of noise, apparently elaborated from the Rivingtons' "The Bird's The Word" (they sued), & featuring incredible low-register gibbering & the longest indrawn breath in recorded history. Singer Steve Wahrer died of throat cancer -- hearing this U won't B suprised....
* Fendermen: "Mule Skinner Blues" -- A coupla Minnesota frat boys w/ guitars desecrate Jimmy Rodgers' country-classic original & take it Top 5. The gtrs R great but it's the hilarious SINGING (? -- yodeling?) that puts this over the top....
* Georgia Satellites: "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" -- Not only R the gtrs great, the lyrics R hysterical. Perfect.
* Aerosmith: "Dude Looks Like a Lady" -- Using this in Robin Williams' movie MRS. DOUBTFIRE was way appropriate, possibly the best possible use of this song -- which is 1 of the catchiest & greatest things these guys ever did.
* Kinks: "Apeman" (1971, from LOLA VS. POWERMAN AND THE MONEY-GO-ROUND) -- Why wasn't this a hit? The follow-up 2 the Top 10 "Lola" peaked at about #45, & its chart failure remains a mystery. It's got hilarious lyrics, a great, catchy singalong chorus -- & it's Deeply Significant. Faced w/ the horrors of Modern Life, who wouldn't rather just rip off their clothes & go swingin thru the jungle?
* My Chemical Romance: "Teenagers" (from THE BLACK PARADE) -- This is hysterical. & not AT ALL what I was Xpecting from these guys. Their other songs R SO melodramatic -- there's a dramatic climax every 30 seconds! This is just good laughs. Great lyrics.
+ Eminem: "Ass Like That" (from ENCORE) -- I KNOW it's racist. & sexist. It's also hilarious. & his other song on the same album that makes fun of Michael Jackson & tells us 2 all wave R hands in the air like idiots? That's pretty funny 2. He's pretty good when he's funny. His more sincere, pained stuff I don't Blieve at all....
+ Led Zeppelin: "Hot Dog" (1979) -- Xcellent country-western pastiche w/ lotsa great joke lyrics, from the mostly lighter-than-air IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR. I also think "Carouselambra" is kinda funny. & the GREAT drum&bugle-corps break in the middle of "Fool in the Rain." But definitely not "All My Love" or "I'm Gonna Crawl"....
+ J. Geils Band: "No Anchovies, Please" (1980) -- A wacky, absurd Zappa-esque vignette that closes the 1st side of their LOVE STINKS album. It's funny the 1st time or 2. "Love Stinks" is itself pretty hilarious, & the lyrics of "Centerfold" R pretty great 2. Why did these guys fall apart after finally reaching the success they'd bn seeking 4 10 yrs? Bcos Peter Wolf thot he was the whole show?
- Whitney Houston: "I Will Always Love You" -- Best-selling single EVER? Bet this is a big fave at karaoke nites. Otherwise it's used 2 scare birds offa airport runways. Whitney can hit notes (badly) that Kate Bush never dreamed of.... Has NE1 ever asked composer Dolly Parton what she thot of Whitney's version? I'm sure she didn't mind the royalties, but....
- Led Zeppelin: "Whole Lotta Love" (1969) -- I've bn picking on these guys a lot lately (they can take it), but I still think mosta this is laughable, especially Robert Plant gibbering like a blue-balled gorilla in the midsection, & the blue-blue lyrics, which I know Dscend from a proud blues tradition & blahblahblah.... Shocking yrs later 2 read interviews w/ Plant & find out HE'S HILARIOUS. MayB he saw the humor in stuff like this the whole time. So I think this track Blongs here.
HONORABLE MENTIONS:
* Doors: "Touch Me" (1969) -- Great Perry-Como-style crooning by Jimbo, nice horns, & how bout those strings in the middle-break? U can tell Jim wasn't taking this seriously, at least partly Bcos the lyrics R Meaningless, & Bcos on the last 3 notes he utters the old Ajax scouring-powder advertising slogan "Stronger than dirt." I've read that Jim utters all kinds of off-the-wall stuff on Doors albums, but my stomach 4 cheezy organ solos will not allow me 2 much in10se investigation in this area....
* Beatles: "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" (1970) -- I think this is hysterical. They shoulda done a whole album of this stuff. From the slimy nightclub singer of the opening 2 Lennon's Ndless muttering in2 his beard at the Nd, there's nothing else like it.
* Incredible String Band: "Koeeoaddi There" & "The Minotaur's Song," from THE HANGMAN'S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER (1968) -- "Koeeoaddi There" is sorta a family history (I think), but the odd, hilarious Dtails in the lyrics & the silly way it's sung (as if by some troll or gnome) makes 4 a very silly way 2 lead-off an album. The Minotaur continues this silliness, narrating his song w/ all the bullheadedness U might Xpect, but also Dtailing the pluses & minuses of Bing such a powerful mythical creature (he can't read well Bcos of his horns). If U could imagine the Hobbits from LORD OF THE RINGS in a musical, U might sorta have the right handle on the modest rural charm of this music. Not w/o mystery, but mainly lite & funny....
(I don't know the artists' names right offa the top of my head ((I'll add them here later)), but U should also check-out hilarious musical #'s Ntitled "Shoes," "Let Me Borrow That Top," & the notorious "Short-Dick Man"....)

3 comments:

bearockr said...

lols Tad ! Really amusing list above ! "Dude who looks like a lady " Makes me sure laugh, and I'll put up a post with this title too ! And then the Honorable Mentions section also made me giggle... Nice sense of humor buddy!

TAD said...

Thanx, B. I hope yr laffin all the time here, not just on the comedy stuff, cos I try 2 have fun w/ this. I woulda had more fun w/ this list Xcept that I feel like I'm 4getting BUNCHES of other obvious funny stuff, which I'd B able 2 remember if I had NE brain left.... So, as always, I may B adding 2 this list over the next few days.... Can already think of a coupla songs by Caravan that probly shoulda bn on this list, & I'm sure there R more. My son sez when it comes 2 music, comedy's the key 2 my heart -- so I'm sure there must B TONS of stuff I can't remember right now. MORE COFFEE! -- TAD.

drewzepmeister said...

I'd throw in Beatles I Am the Walrus and Yellow Submarine.