Monday, December 31, 2012

#620: Changes....

Looking ahead, the New Year might B a little diffrent around here....

DOING MY PART FOR THE ECONOMY: After years of driving broken-down wrecks, I was basically forced in2 buying a reliable good-quality 2nd-hand used car after putting more in repairs in2 my last beater than the thing was worth.
I'm now the proud(?) owner of a 2009 Pontiac G6, the nicest, newest car I've EVER owned. I'm still in shock about it, still can't believe my bank financed it. (They approved ME 4 a loan? No WONDER there was a banking crisis awhile back....) This is the sorta thing Xmas bonuses were meant 2 go 4, right? Still can't believe there R actually places where they'll sell decent non-broken-down cars 2 people like me. Isn't America wonderful...?
I'll keep you posted on how this works out -- I can swing the payments, but its gonna B TIGHT, & there's probly gonna B some 2nd-guessing when the 1st payment comes due early in Feb. Should B fun 2 watch....
But after my $$$ adventures with my last 2 cars, it was basically either do this or walk. & I'm 2 old 2 walk.
Which leads us 2 Item 2:

I'M ON A LOW BUDGET....: Needless 2 say, with so much of my future "disposable" income now locked-up 4 future monthly car payments, my days of $100 shopping sprees at Amazon.com R pretty much over with. & that might B a good thing.
I still have a pretty-good-sized stack of stuff that I grabbed cheap last Winter & Spring that I either haven't listened-2 or read yet, or have barely sniffed at. I will B forced 2 Deal With this stuff now 2 fight musical & literary boredom, + I still have 1/2adozen Strange CD's that Crabby sent me last Summer that I've barely gotten in2.
I will get 2 all this stuff in due time, tho it may take awhile. These items include:
MUSIC -- Mike McGear, Eric Burdon's SUN SECRETS, Be-Bop Deluxe's RAIDING THE DIVINE ARCHIVE best-of, Illusion's (2nd) & ENCHANTED CARESS, Soft Machine's THIRD & OUT-BLOODY-RAGEOUS best-of, Nektar's RECYCLED & DOWN TO EARTH, Barclay James Harvest's HARVEST YEARS best-of, Nick Drake's FIVE LEAVES LEFT, David Sancious and Tone's TRUE STORIES, The Wackers' HOT WACKS, Kracker's EL FAMILIA, & lots more.
BOOKS -- Hunter S. Thompson's FEAR AND LOATHING IN AMERICA (2/3rds of the way thru 4 the 2nd time, huge but pretty great), THE PROUD HIGHWAY & HELL'S ANGELS; Christopher Wren's HACKS, Lewis Shiner's SLAM, FOREVER CHANGES: ARTHUR LEE AND THE BOOK OF LOVE, Bee Lavender's ADVENTURES IN TAXIDERMY, NEVER COMING TO A THEATER NEAR YOU, & more....
Knowing me, this stuff will likely take most of 2013 2 get thru. But I've got nothing but time. & thanx 2 those new car payments, I've had 2 put-off my planned Caribbean cruise....
+, as of last June, I hava new girlfriend who's getting a lot of the free time I useta lavish here, so....

KEEPING UP THE PACE: So I'm thinking all the above stuff will likely get reviewed here, but at a slower pace than usual. + there'll likely B the usual Nostalgia pieces & attempts at humor. Meaning, when I have something 2 talk about, I'll post it, like usual. But my big post-a-day plan 4 Dec DID NOT WORK. I made it 2 mid-month B4 I hit the wall -- which was probly a good thing. & most of You Out There seem 2 B reading the Olde Stuff instead of the newer stuff, & that's great, thanx 4 reading here, & maybe someday I'll catch up....

LATEST PLAYLIST: Well, there isn't 1. I'm still playing off-the-wall music 2 keep me motivated at work, but it's pretty much the Same Old Stuff. No major shocked reactions 2 report, Xcept 4 1 drunk guy who LOVED Crabby Appleton's "Go Back"....

1 comment:

R S Crabb said...

Hey TAD,
Just to pass on to say hope ya have a Happy New Year and sometimes it's better to spend quality time with that special somebody.

I hope 13 will be that lucky number for me as well. Next year I'll be cutting back on my bargain hunts and discover the stuff that i have here that i can't recall how I bought them. With me taking up playing music again I'll be focusing my attention to that but rest assured I'll be posting top ten stuff at my site. As always I'm sure we will catch up in the comments sections. Cheers!