Monday, January 14, 2013

#624: Cheers for Seattle-area radio(?!)

As much as I've bitched about Seattle-area radio, in the interest of Fairness I must note that this past Friday nite they outdid themselves, actually seemed 2 recognize 4 1nce WHAT NIGHT IT WAS, & played a pretty good lineup of mostly-upbeat music. For which I'd give them a B+ rating.
Oh, not 1 single radio station made this breakthru. No, that would B revolutionary. It took halfadozen diffrent stations teaming up over a 4-hour period 2 create a decent Fri nite soundtrack. From roughly 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm, I hardly hadta dip in2 my stash of CD's more than 1nce or 2wice -- there was more than enuf decent music on the radio 2 keep me motivated & moving at work.
This is possibly a 1st. It must've worked 4 other people, 2.
This doesn't mean there wasn't still a lotta crap getting played -- there were still more than enuf "Hotel California"'s & "Heartache Tonight"'s & "Philadelphia Freedom"'s & "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart"'s & other Bad Overplayed Stuff 2 avoid. & there were no shocking MAJOR suprises. There was actually rather a lot of overplayed stuff -- but it all sounded real good.
Overall, not a bad nite's work, Seattle radio. Take a bow.
Here's summa what they played:

Def Leppard -- Animal, Foolin', Photograph.
Eagles -- Seven Bridges Road, Peaceful Easy Feeling.
Fleetwood Mac -- Gypsy, Go Your Own Way.
Bob Seger -- Hollywood Nights.
Stones -- You Can't Always Get What You Want, Paint it Black, Sympathy for the Devil.
Chicago -- Beginnings.
Cars -- Bye Bye Love, Drive, Dangerous Type, Just What I Needed.
Vanessa Williams -- Save the Best for Last.
Earth, Wind and Fire -- After the Love is Gone.
Howard Jones -- No One is to Blame.
Eric and the Dominoes -- Layla.
Adele -- Rumour Has It.
Beatles -- Back in the USSR.
Zep -- Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven (of course), In the Evening.
Madonna -- Open Your Heart.
Who -- Behind Blue Eyes.
Kinks -- Lola.
Doors -- Light My Fire, Touch Me.
.38 Special -- Hold On Loosely.
Don Henley -- Boys of Summer.
Steve Miller -- The Joker.
Cyndi Lauper -- Time After Time.
Temptations -- Ain't Too Proud to Beg.
Bonnie Raitt -- I Can't Make You Love Me.
Des'ree -- You Gotta Be.
Beau Brummels -- Laugh Laugh.
Queen -- Fat Bottomed Girls, Somebody to Love.
Lisa Loeb -- Stay (I Missed You).
Boston -- Rock and Roll Band, Let Me Take You Home Tonight, Peace of Mind.
Pink -- Who Knew?
Jethro Tull -- Living in the Past.
Belinda Carlisle -- Mad About You.
Stevie Wonder -- I Wish.
Bruce -- Born to Run.
Supertramp -- Dreamer.
Doobies -- China Grove, Jesus is Just Alright.
Bowie -- Changes.
Manfred Mann's Earth Band -- Blinded by the Light.
Blondie -- Heart of Glass.
Avril Lavigne -- Complicated.
Anna Nalick -- Breathe.

...Of course on Sat & Sun nites the local stations reverted 2 normal form & mostly played LOTS of crap. So much so that I hadta fall back on The News & TALK RADIO 2 keep functioning thru work. Thanx a lot 4 getting my hopes up....

Later in the evenings lately I've taken 2 listening 2 nationwide syndicated talk radio -- shows like COAST TO COAST AM and OVERNIGHT AMERICA. I'm still trying 2 decide how much of this stuff is BS or comedy or paranoia, & how much is sincere warnings 2 the nation -- since mosta the topics eventually seem 2 break down 2 Government Conspiracies or Alien Abductions or UFO Sightings or Secret Behind-The-Scenes Stuff.
I AM impressed that the people who appear on these shows or call in R ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED about what they've learned or seen or Xperienced. It's hard 2 argue with that. But I'm still trying 2 make up my mind about how Real some of it is.
When I was listening on Sat nite, a customer walked in & asked what I was listening 2, & I gave him the short Xplanation & my current view of it.
"Oh, are they talkin' about stuff like the Illuminati?" he asked. "Yeah, I've read up on that stuff. There's definitely some weird shit goin' on. But I'm thinkin' maybe there's some stuff I don't NEED to know. Like, maybe I'm too busy tryin' to get through today to worry about what's comin' tomorrow...."

No comments: