Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More music, less motto

...Yeah, well, I'd liketa blog more often, but.
I've bn sick 4 the last week, fighting some kinda cold/flu/upper-respiratory THING that won't go away. I'm coughing-up a lung right now -- Xcuse me while I wipe off the screen....
Just when I think it's gone, ... it comes back.
This cold/whatever is apparently connected 2 the wild swings in temperature & weather around here lately: low-90s & sunny 10 days ago, 50's & raining a day later -- & continuing that way 4 the next week....
Haven't played NE music in weeks, other than at work. Most days have bn 2 tired 2 get 2 it B4 work -- & 4 the past week my roommate has been home 24/7 fighting-off his OWN cold/flu/upper-respiratory whatever, in his case made worse by his downing a dozen beers per nite & smoking 2 packs of cigs per day. He sez whatever he's got it's not catching -- he's bn 2 a doctor. So my problems R my own damn fault. NEway, no point trying 2 play music while he's home, cos I'd never hear it over his TV.
Am I whining? Fine, I'm whining.
Other than that, everything's about the same.
I'll try 2 get back 2 the music soon, actually have a few new things up my sleeve.... SUPERNATURAL FAIRY TALES, WONDEROUS STORIES, The Fifth Dimension's SECRET GARDEN, & the SMILE SESSIONS highlights coming in Nov....

Continuing my love-hate relationship with local radio, which I listen 2 every nite while I'm at work. They think a lot of themselves -- it shows in their on-air mottoes:
* "The best mix of everything." Uh, well no.
* "It's DIFFERENT here." Well, it's not diffrent ENOUGH.
* "Seattle's ONLY Classic Rock station." Yeah, & with your playlist it's EZ 2 C why that is....
* "We play ONLY the hits of the '60s & '70s!" ...& a few lame '80s hits slip in when we get forgetful or lazy....
* "We play what we want." 2 bad it's mostly what everybody ELSE wants 2 play, 2....
This past Sun nite all the overplayed "greats" were on the air: "Smoke on the Water," "Stairway to Heaven," "Sweet Home Alabama," "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," "Someone Saved My Life Tonight," "Layla," "Hotel California," "Band on the Run," "Slow Ride," "Heartache Tonight," "Life in the Fast Lane," "One of These Nights".... It was stunning.
At least 1nce they threw in something slightly unXpected, Deep Purple's "Hush" -- but I don't remember NEthing else that suprised me.
Even Little Steven was playing a lotta familiar stuff on the "Underground Garage." But at least he threw-in The Launderettes' "Red River" & The Smithereens' "Sorry" -- & there was a nice birthday tribute 2 Joan Jett. I've only recently realized that her "I Hate Myself for Loving You" is a pretty great piece of no-frills rock&roll. & I liked a few of the back-up trax on her I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL album, especially "Nag" & "Be Straight" & mayB a coupla others I can't remember now....

Hope y'all R healthier than I am. More soon....

No comments: