Friday, October 7, 2011

Playlist from Hell!

I'll get back 2 Joel Whitburn's TOP POP SINGLES shortly -- I'm still making lists. But 1st....
Weds nite at work was THE WORST music nite of ALL TIME. From 7 pm onward, the 1/2-dozen local FM stations I bounce around Btween played Xactly 2 songs that could B called unXpected or suprising -- The Beatles' "Hey Bulldog," & Booker T & the MG's "Time is Tight," which I hadn't heard 4 quite awhile.
Along the way there were a couple things worth turning it up 4 -- Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Every Day" & Badfinger's "Day After Day." But the rest was absolute MUSH. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing suprising.
How can people B happy with this? How many times can you hear "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" B4 yer brain turns 2 Swiss cheese -- like mine already has?!
FINALLY, at 10:15 pm some smart DJ at KZOK put on Elton John's "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding," & I finally felt like mayB I might wake up. They followed it with the Beatles' "Got to Get You Into My Life" & Chicago's "Questions 67 & 68," then CSNY's "Woodstock" -- which another station played within 30 seconds after the 1st 1 finished! I swear they all listen 2 each other & copy each other's playlists -- even the station that claims it "plays what we want" (JACK-FM).
Which got me thinking. 2nite was slightly better, but not much. I think we otta call a moratorium or a boycott on all overplayed rock&roll "classics" -- songs that we KNOW have passed their sell-by date. There R SO MANY of them. 4 most of those that follow in the list below, hearing them is an immediate tune-out 4 me, & I'm sure 4 1,000's of others.
That doesn't mean I hate these songs -- I still like some of them, the 1's where the passion & intensity still come thru ("Layla," "Stairway to Heaven"'s last 1/2, "More Than a Feeling," "Crazy on You," etc....). But 4 so many of them, their time is over. It's just the same old rut.
Here's the best list of overplayed-to-death's I could come up with off the toppa my head. How many of these have you heard more than 1nce a day recently? I've heard MORE THAN 1/2 OF THEM in the past 2 nites. Usually just B4 changing 2 another station.
In the intrests of fairness & as a special torture for neophytes, none of the artists behind these "spoiled classics" will B named. You already know who they are anyway. Let the bad times roll....

(starting with the stuff I don't quite want 2 let go of yet....)
More Than a Feeling
Crazy on You
Layla
Stairway to Heaven
Go Your Own Way
Rhiannon

...and
Sweet Home Alabama
Smoke on the Water
Slow Ride
Don't Go Breakin' My Heart
Philadelphia Freedom
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
Bennie and the Jets
Crocodile Rock
Honky Cat
Refugee
Hey Jude
Let it Be
Lady Madonna
Get Back
Kokomo
Who Are You?
Won't Get Fooled Again
Squeeze Box
Whole Lotta Love
D'yer Mak'er
All My Love
White Room
Sunshine of Your Love
Here Comes the Sun
My Sweet Lord
I Shot the Sheriff
Cocaine
You've Got a Friend
Don't Stop
Dreams
The Long Run
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
One of These Nights
Hotel California
Best of My Love
New Kid in Town
In the Air Tonight
Bohemian Rhapsody
Roxanne
Don't Stand So Close to Me
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Wrapped Around Your Finger
Every Breath You Take
Tonight's the Night (NOT Neil Young....)
You're in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
Don't Look Back
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
Faithfully
Who's Crying Now?
Open Arms
Lucky Star
Holiday
Into the Groove
Magic Man
Barracuda
Dust in the Wind
Rock and Roll Music (as sung by a world-famous California quintet that has another song elsewhere in this list....)
Jack and Diane
Hurts So Good
Babe
The Best of Times
What I Like About You
Talking in Your Sleep
Cold as Ice
Feels Like the First Time
Hot Blooded
Dirty White Boy
Lyin' Eyes
Beast of Burden
Miss You
Angie
Brown Sugar
Money for Nothing
So Far Away (NOT Carole King)
Just You and Me
Free Fallin'
Start Me Up
Brown Eyed Girl
Band on the Run
Silly Love Songs
My Love
Let 'Em In
Evil Woman (a British band with lotsa hits in the '70s)
Come and Get It
Lay Lady Lay
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Fame (no, not Irene Cara....)
Young Americans
Golden Years
Let's Dance

My Ghod, that's 90+ songs I'd B pretty happy 2 never hear again. Shoulda gone 4 100.
...OK, so what did I forget? No, wait, don't remind me....

PS -- 8 Oct 2011, 1:36 am, B4 looking at Comments:
I forgot....
All Right Now
Another One Bites the Dust
...& probly a lot more....

9 Oct 11, 1:21 am --
Also:
Jet Airliner
Fly Like an Eagle
Rock 'N' Me
My Life
Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
Just the Way You Are
Rich Girl
Come Sail Away
Hold Me....

13 Oct 11, 12:42 pm:
And....
What a Fool Believes
Smooth
Low Rider
(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher (hint: she useta B married 2 Kris Kristofferson....)
Take the Money and Run....

14 Oct 11, 1:26 am:
And....
Money (from 1 of the most popular albums ever....)
Baby Hold On
Two Tickets to Paradise
In the Summertime (one-hit wonders....)
Smooth Operator....

15 Oct 11, 1:23 am:
And....
Night Moves
Against the Wind
Still the Same
Live and Let Die
Down Under
One Way or Another
Born to Be Wild
Magic Carpet Ride
Shake it Up....
-- This is getting 2 B kinda fun. I wonder how many overplayed "spoiled classics" I can come up with...?

16 Oct 11, 1:55 am --
And:
All I Wanna Do
Picture
If it Makes You Happy
A Change Would Do You Good....

18 Oct 11, 1:43 am --
Also:
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
Can't Get Enough....

20 Oct 11, 3:15 pm --
And:
White Wedding
Rebel Yell
Leather and Lace
The Logical Song
Take the Long Way Home....

21 Oct 11, 1:37 am --
Also:
Sister Christian
Minute by Minute
Sex and Candy
Bette Davis Eyes
Margaritaville
Feel Like Makin' Love
Monday Monday
Ode to Billy Joe
The Gambler (this is NOT rock&roll, but it does get played too much....)
Take it to the Limit
Saturday in the Park....

24 Oct 11, 1:46 am --
And:
Borderline
Like a Virgin
Black Velvet
You're So Vain
Take it on the Run
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
(these last 2 have bn getting played A LOT lately....)

2 comments:

R S Crabb said...

Congrats TAD, you just named the complete play list of 100.7 The Fox here ;)

drewzepmeister said...

As well as some of the radio stations around here...