Saturday, July 12, 2014

Broke/Hot

Hey there. Writing this at work, so can't stay long.
Am as broke now as I've been in months -- the 10 hours per month I've been cut back at work is really starting to bite.
So, over past couple days have been piling up music and books to take to Half-Price Books in Tacoma for some cash. I haven't been there in five years, so I'm overdue -- if they're still in business. I'm thinking maybe they'll give me $50 or maybe $75 for the two HUGE boxes of stuff, and I'll be a little ahead of the bills. Sorry to whine. Right now I can't even afford the $4 to get over the toll bridge....
Most of the stuff that's going is books I've never successfully gotten into or will probably never read -- and lots of music I've repeatedly tried to get into with no luck: Mahavishnu Orchestra, John McLaughlin solo, some Weather Report, some Return to Forever, Gong, early Soft Machine, Hatfield and the North, some Spirit, Brand X, some King Crimson vinyl that I also have on CD, other odds and ends and some beat-up old stuff.
If this slows down my plans for a Strange Music Guide, ah well -- I'm not making very quick progress on it anyway, and I need the bucks.
Course there's always a chance something at Half Price will catch my eye, and if so I'll report on it here. I've never had much self-discipline....

It's HOT here -- supposed to be 90 or over this weekend into next week. That's hot for western Washington. My apologies to you out there who are suffering 100-degree-plus temperatures. As humid as it gets here, we might as well be over 100. Best part of coming to work these days is the air conditioning -- which is miraculously still working....

I owe another steak dinner to 2000 Man, who gave a four-star review to my GAS NAZI! e-book at Amazon.com's Kindle Store. It is so nice to know some people actually GET what I'm trying to do, or at least enjoy reading my fumblings....
Hope to get back to blogging more often here soon. All the best....

3 comments:

R S Crabb said...

Hi Tad,
Sorry to hear about your plight and bad luck about hours. It's been a weather of contrasts here, haven't had a 90 degree temp all of June/July, in fact a polar voltex is coming on top of us and temps will be high 60s all of next week. Haven't put the AC in all summer and don't need it.

I had to donate about 100 CDs to charity since they fell into the water in the basement last month and I have decided to rid a whole lot more before this is done. Half Priced Books should be in your area, you won't get much from them but at least it'll keep the lights on. Hang in there.

2000 Man said...

Yeah, sorry to hear about the hours being cut, too. That really sucks. Funny how the far right says the more we give the richest of us, the more we all benefit, but they've been making more money than god for years now, and we seem to just be getting hours cut, unemployment benefits cut or no jobs anyway. The proof is smacking them in the face and they still don't see it. Good luck, and I hope Half Price Books sees some value in what you've got.

And it was my pleasure to write a quick little review. I liked Gas Nazi quite a bit!

TAD said...

Crabby -- In the 60's ALL WEEK? You're KILLIN' me! ... Course we've had some summers here when 60s was as hot as it got, too....

2 -- Thanx for readin' GAS NAZI. Ghod knows when I'll get another one done. Did you ever get thru CONFESSOR? The couple people I know who read it said it's kind of a downer. Ah well....