Monday, October 13, 2014

Live blogging from Work!

Tonight is a snoozefest. The first major rainstorm of the fall is passing through, and I've seen about half a dozen paying customers in the last two hours.
So, at the possible risk of my job if my boss should suddenly appear, I thought I'd babble here for awhile.
This is my seventh work night in a row. One of my co-workers had her leg operated on, and may be out for the next two weeks or more. I volunteered to cover her shifts as well as my own, until I beg for a day off. So far, this unexpected extra work hasn't been that bad, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the paychecks.
But tonight, I'll bet we're barely paying the electrical bill.
More in a bit....
..Is anybody out there? Have had ONE more customer since I started typing this. The rain has lightened up a little, was POURING an hour ago. Not so much now. Seems like most of the storm hit central Puget Sound and the hills to the east. That happens here sometimes. When it snows, THEN we get hit....
...Rain's coming down steadily, though not thundering down like it was for awhile. Little more like a shower, now. A few more people out, most apparently scared away by storm forecasts....
We normally have some Regulars come in for beer between now and midnight -- we'll see if they show up tonight.... I haven't worked a Monday night in so long, I don't know what to expect, don't know what "normal" is....
Any questions from the audience about this weird work I do...?
...OK, in the past 10 minutes have sold 2 Scratch tickets & one pack of smokes. Really burnin' it up tonight, folks!
...Have not played any music tonight -- want to have as much advance warning as possible if the boss should drop by. With no noise, can hear cars drive up in the parking lot, etc., and can get the jump on people. Am I just being paranoid? Probably....
...Have both the front doors wide open and it's 68 degrees in here -- for the first time tonight, I feel comfortable. All my work is done, or I wouldn't be typing this. I'm just waiting for midnight so I can lock up. A few minor chores to do before then.
We all got new corporate-logo work shirts a couple weeks ago -- they're comfortable, but they're WARM. It can be raining and 60 degrees outside and I'll still be sweating like a pig as I run around inside the store getting my work done. Hey, I'm a hot guy. Can't wait 'til summer comes back around and I'll be sweating off 10 pounds a day.... But I don't have that much weight to lose....
So, yes, I'm officially a corporate kiss-ass now, and have the shirt to prove it.
...The rain has stopped. But it's still quiet out there.
Hey, somebody got second-prize in tonight's Powerball drawing. Was it you? That's a cool million dollars for someone. I'll take it, if it goes unclaimed....
...If this continues, this is going to be our worst business night since last winter -- we might even break my personal all-time night-shift record-low of $650....
...OK, sold a couple beers and some gas....
...Here's a great one -- I heard from somebody who's mentioned in my record-store-memoir e-book! Over at the Back-Up Plan's Facebook page, my old record-store manager Robin said she downloaded the FREE first 20 pages of GUARANTEED GREAT MUSIC! and enjoyed it -- but she said I got a few facts wrong....
I wouldn't be surprised, knowing my faulty memory. Ghod knows what she'd think of the rest of the book.... I think it's cool to hear from her, since I haven't heard from her since late 1981. And I'm also kind of dreading what else she might tell me is wrong with the book, if you know what I mean....
...OK, sold some bottled waters, a couple sandwiches, and some energy bars -- still right on track to have the slowest business night here EVER....
...OK, just helped a guy break his steering wheel loose so he could start his car. You know how steering wheels sometimes lock up if you turn 'em too far one way or the other? Like that. Good thing it was nothing more complicated. Cos I sure ain't no mechanic....
Now 11:10 p.m., Pacific Time. Gotta count Scratch tickets here in a bit....
...Had the radio news on for awhile earlier, but it's nothing too surprising. Ebola outbreak, now an American nurse infected, etc. I was glad that they at least mentioned that you can't get Ebola unless you have contact with an infected person's bodily fluids.
Worried about Ebola? Go read Richard Preston's THE HOT ZONE, copies are available at Amazon.com for a penny -- and it will scare the SHIT out of you....
OK, sold some gas and some more scratch tickets. Need to count scratch tickets now....
...Have started doing stuff so I can close down the store at midnight -- counted scratch tickets, emptied a coffee pot, took out this morning's old dead newspapers, brought in squeegees, took apart the soda fountain....
Still on track for this to be the quietest business night ever. Tonight definitely has been nothing to Write Home about.... This has been an experiment that probably won't be repeated. But at least it kept me awake. And if I'd been busy, I wouldn't have had TIME to write about it....
...12:40 a.m. -- OK, it's OFFICIAL: The worst, slowest business night here EVER, $535 total. Unbelievable. I wonder what scared everybody away? The weather wasn't THAT bad. Is it because it's the 13th? It couldn't have been ME, right?
Thanks to everybody who dropped in ... and don't be expecting this again in the future....

No comments: