Thursday, June 30, 2016

Marathon 3

I have a vacation coming up in the middle of July. Thank Ghod. I thought it was never going to get here.
But to get to it I have to work 12 nights in a row. A couple of those are 10-hour nights.
This would be no big deal if I was 35. But at my age it might be a little bit of a stretch.
So it should be educational. I'll update here on how it goes.
Still, if I can have nine days off in a row at the end of it, I'll do it. And there's the overtime money, of course....

Last night was the first of the dozen nights, and it was a breeze, the easiest "Monday" I've had in a long time, thanks in part to the new girlfriend who cheered me up and brought me dinner.
I've told myself to take it easy -- that anything I can't handle tonight will still be there tomorrow, waiting for me, so there's no pressure.
I can sure tell it's summer, though. There's tons of people out -- including a good share of Crazies -- and when folks start pouring into the store, they don't stop. Everybody was in a good mood last night, though, so no complaints.
At one point I spent two hours -- from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m. -- just ringing people up. Never got out from behind the cash register. Usually when I'm trapped like that I end up doing The Potty Dance and begging Ghod for a break. But last night it was all good. I'm hoping tonight is the same.
I've been in pretty good form at work lately (thanks again to the new girlfriend) -- my mood is better, everything seems easier, things don't bother me as much, I can roll with it.
But people still get in a hurry, and sometimes I feel that. Last week, I had two folks who started talking to me over the top of each other and neither would stop -- and finally I had to yell at them to give me a break, because neither of them would budge and I couldn't hear EITHER of them. One guy gave me a hard time afterward, but whatthehell?
And yet I still have a job....

The music I've been playing at work lately likely has helped. I started last night with....
Aerosmith -- Seasons of Wither, Walk This Way, Big Ten Inch Record.
Beach Boys (hey, it's summer, right?) -- All Summer Long, Kiss Me Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Let Him Run Wild, She's Not the Little Girl I Once Knew, Wendy (a comedy classic), Surf's Up, Feel Flows, 'Til I Die, Sail On Sailor, Help Me Rhonda, Here Today, Sloop John B, Let's Go Away for Awhile.
Moody Blues -- The Story in Your Eyes, Question, It's Up to You, Tuesday Afternoon, Ride My See-Saw, Gypsy, Peak Hour.
Beatles -- You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, Oh! Darling.
Joe Cocker -- Feelin' Alright, With a Little Help From My Friends, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Cry Me a River, The Letter, High Time We Went.
Van Morrison -- Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile), Domino, Wild Night, Cleaning Windows, Caravan, Into the Mystic.
Todd Rundgren -- Couldn't I Just Tell You?, Just One Victory, The Very Last Time.
Tedeschi Trucks Band -- Anyhow, Made Up Mind.
Derek Trucks Band -- Down in the Flood, I Know, Days is Almost Gone.
Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart -- I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know.
Kate Bush -- Cloudbusting, Wow, Running Up That Hill, The Man With the Child in His Eyes.
Monkees -- Tapioca Tundra, Listen to the Band.
Rivieras -- California Sun.
Trashmen -- Surfin' Bird.
Grateful Dead -- Uncle John's Band, New Speedway Boogie.
Rod Stewart -- You Wear it Well, Handbags and Gladrags.
Dave Edmunds -- Girls Talk, Information, Slippin' Away, I Hear You Knockin', Crawling from the Wreckage, Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Jim Croce -- Workin' at the Car Wash Blues, I Got a Name, Lover's Cross, Operator.
Joni Mitchell -- Raised On Robbery, Chelsea Morning.
Steely Dan -- My Old School, Bodhissatva, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Third World Man, Josie, Reeling in the Years.
Elvis Costello -- What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding.
Bob Dylan -- One of Us Must Know.
America -- I Need You, Sandman.
James Brown -- I Feel Good (I Got You), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag.
Warren Zevon -- Werewolves of London, Lawyers Guns and Money.
Jefferson Starship -- Find Your Way Back.
Journey -- Feeling That Way/Anytime, Something to Hide.
ELO -- Ma-Ma-Ma-Belle.
Joan Armatrading -- I Love it When You Call Me Names, When I Get it Right, Temptation.
Billy Joel -- The Entertainer, All for Leyna.
Elton John -- Friends, Madman Across the Water.
Supertramp -- From Now On.

More updates coming soon as things get weirder....

No comments: