Monday, June 27, 2016

TAD's 100 favorite Beatles songs

OK, here's a list of my 100 favorite Beatles songs, inspired by Stephen Spignesi and Michael Lewis's HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE: THE 100 BEST BEATLES SONGS, and by the fact that my wonderful new girlfriend DOESN'T LIKE THE BEATLES. Even though she bought me an ABBEY ROAD T-shirt.
As with Spignesi and Lewis's book, these are all songs composed by the Fabs, not cover versions of other people's hits (like "Money," "Rock and Roll Music," "Twist and Shout," or "Everybody's Trying to be My Baby").
Ah well, away we go anyhow. If we can't agree on some of this stuff we'll never agree about anything....

1. A Day in the Life.
2. ABBEY ROAD Side 2 Medley ("The Big One"), from "You Never Give Me Your Money" through "The End."
3. Eight Days a Week
4. Got to Get You Into My Life
5. There's a Place
6. Tell Me Why (great show-biz-zy sound)
7. She Loves You
8. I Want to Hold Your Hand
9. Ticket to Ride (first Beatles song I ever learned the words to, age 6)
10. Please Please Me
11. Back in the USSR
12. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
13. Norwegian Wood
14. In My Life
15. No Reply (great Ringo drums, almost as great as "Ticket to Ride")
16. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
17. I'll Be Back
18. Things We Said Today
19. Hello Goodbye (first Beatles song I ever paid attention to, age 12)
20. I Am the Walrus (same here, "HG's" B-side)
I'm a Loser
Eleanor Rigby
For No One
The Night Before
I Need You
Any Time at All
Dear Prudence
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
I'll Cry Instead
30. Across the Universe
Paperback Writer (hilarious lyrics)
And Your Bird Can Sing (great guitars)
Birthday
Oh! Darling (great Paul vocal)
A Hard Day's Night
It's Only Love
Help!
Helter Skelter
I'm Down (the line about Paul keeping his hands to himself cracks me up every time)
40. Hey Bulldog (great -- but what does it mean?)
Taxman
All My Loving
Baby You're a Rich Man
I Feel Fine
I Will
Old Brown Shoe (stronger vocal woulda made this a classic)
Penny Lane
Nowhere Man
Something
50. Tomorrow Never Knows (awesome psychedelic rock that ROCKS)
Wait
Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help From My Friends
I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
Cry Baby Cry
And I Love Her
If I Fell
Don't Pass Me By
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
60. Here Comes the Sun
I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
She's a Woman
Misery
I'll Follow the Sun
I'm So Tired
Yer Blues
Revolution
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
70. You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) (...hey, this is getting hard.)
I Saw Her Standing There
Getting Better
We Can Work it Out
Mother Nature's Son
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
Piggies (mean-spirited, but...)
Strawberry Fields Forever (great production, but...)
Hey Jude (death through overplaying)
The Long and Winding Road (worth it for the "many times I've been alone" midsection)
80. Thank You Girl
Glass Onion
Yesterday (overrated, but....)
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Because
Blackbird
Can't Buy Me Love
Come Together
Do You Want to Know a Secret?
P.S. I Love You
90. Don't Let Me Down
Her Majesty
Yellow Submarine
This Boy
I'm Looking Through You
I've Just Seen a Face
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Octopus's Garden
Rocky Raccoon
She Said She Said
100. When I'm 64

OTHER NOTES: OK, I admit defeat around Number 70. After that, the stuff I've heard WAY too much can't be separated from the stuff I don't like all that much.
We can talk about my obvious bias toward John later....

COMING SOON: The 100 essential Moody Blues songs!

No comments: